Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

RAID-5 5x2TB Need Data Recovery Parameters

CSBlackburn
Beginner

Hi Guys,

I've read a number of technical support responses from others that say your data is lost.  That may or may not be true and to what extent depends primarily on the state of the drives and the file system lying on top of it at the time of failure. 

I have an X99 Motherboard and I appreciate answers to the following questions as I would be able to recover that data using R-Studio (a data recovery program for RAID systems):

What is the block order: Left Asynchronous (Continuous), Left Asynchronous (Standard), Right Synchronous, Right Asynchronous

What is the parity delay if any:  and if there is a delay what is the first parity

If I have a photo of my RAID array via the controller software how accurately does that reflect the order of the drives within the stripe? 

Thanks,
Christian

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello CSBlackburn,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities.

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Regards,

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello CSBlackburn,

Hope you are doing great and staying safe, in this case, please share with us the following information:

1. Why are you trying to use this specific software to recover the data? 

Also, after reviewing the tool documentation, we noticed that it uses automatic parameter detection, which indicates that there is no need to manually add the parameters. 

https://www.r-studio.com/automatic-raid-detection.html

In case you need assistance with the tool or with its features, our recommendation is to check with the developer to get specialized support. 

Regards,

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
CSBlackburn
Beginner

Hi Josue O,

Yes, that program has an autodetect feature.  However, it is only able to detect the order for 4/5 of the drives and does nothing for the specifics of how the striping is implemented.  RAID 5 is a concept and there are many implementations which generated my questions in the first place.  It would make sense that Intel would know better how their hardware works than a random 3rd party company.  Would you please escalate the issue if needed and try to answer the questions I marked in bold? 

What is the block order: Left Asynchronous (Continuous), Left Asynchronous (Standard), Right Synchronous, Right Asynchronous

What is the parity delay if any:  and if there is a delay what is the first parity

Thanks,
Christian

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello CSBlackburn,

Thank you for the information provided, I will continue checking the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Regards,

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello CSBlackburn, 

I am sorry for the delay in the response. In this case, I will attach an image with further information about your issue.

The Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID5 data and parity layout is exactly as shown circled below with no parity delay.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello CSBlackburn,  

Were you able to check the previous post? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello CSBlackburn,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos