Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2045 Discussions

RSTe installation on Server 2016 Hyper-V

MKrop2
Beginner

Trying to install Rapid Storage Technology enterprise on Server 2016 Hyper-V. This is the Server Core version of Windows Server so no GUI. I have a Supermicro X11SSL-F motherboard and I have the RAID configured. I'm trying to find a way to monitor the arrays to receive either an alert or a Windows Event Log entry on problems.

When I try to install RSTe_5.3.0.1413, the installer fails saying:

"0x00000643 Fatal error during installation".

The install step just prior to failure is "Install Drivers Prepare"

Clicking "View log files" does not show anything. When I check under C:\Users\\ for the logs, there is no Intel\logs folder so it does not look like it is generating logs.

I have downloaded the recommended RSTe installer from Supermicro and from Intel and both give the same problem. This is happening on two identical servers that I am building. Server Hyper-V is fully patched on both machines.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Matthew_LVCNS,

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

As we understand you are trying to install the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel® RSTe) in your Super Micro* X11SSL-F (Intel® C232 chipset) and your OS is a version of Windows Server core and you are trying to use Hyper-V to install the required software and you received the Error 0x0000643.

In regard to your inquiry, to install the Intel® RSTe an operating system with a graphical interface is required; if the computer is working as Core server then it will not be possible to install the application and this kind of errors are expected. Please take into consideration that the usage of Hyper-v is not supported.

This being said we cannot assure you that this configuration will work or not and to experience errors during or after the installation are possible.

We hope you find this information useful.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
MKrop2
Beginner

So what is the recommended way to monitor Intel RAID when using Server Core or Server Hyper-V? Using Server Core or Server Hyper-V has been Microsoft's recommended way of setting up servers for several years now; in fact they advise against using the GUI for hypervisor roles.

I've found the CLI utility to where I can manage the array in Core mode; I just need a way to monitor it so I know when a disk fails. I can make do with SNMP monitoring although I would prefer alerts to be written to the Windows Event log or emailed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Matthew_LVCNS,

Thank you for your reply.

In your current environment, we recommend the usage of the CLI utility since it works for most of the customers in environments without GUI.

We recommend you to get in contact with Super Micro*since some manufacturers have their own proprietary software for cases like yours.

This being said if you are interested in checking all the generic tools available to manage your RSTe we advise you to read the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/g40440_005_rste_swug_r1_5.pdf Intel® RSTe for Microsoft Windows* Operating System Software User's Guide.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Matthew_LVCNS,

Thank you for having contacted Intel Technical Support.

We have not heard from you since our last communication and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support.
0 Kudos
MKrop2
Beginner

I'm good with using RSTCLI to manage the RAID. I'm still looking for a way to MONITOR the RAID. How do I get it to send an SNMP trap, a syslog message, email, or write to Windows Event Log so I can be notified when the array has issues?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Matthew_LVCNS,

We are glad to hear that you founded the RSTCLI helpful to manage your RAID configuration.

Regarding the notification, we advise you to get in contact with your OEM in this case Super micro to try to check if they have hardware similar to the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/server-management/intel-remote-management-module.html Intel® Remote Management Module that will be compatible with your X11SSL-F motherboard in order to set up notification alerts and remote access to your server in case of a failure.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support.

0 Kudos
MKrop2
Beginner

I have contacted them. They have IPMI 2.0 built into the boards which I am using. However, it does not natively communicate with Rapid Storage Technology. They say to install your RSTe tool for monitoring. But that is not working for me under Windows Server Core/Server Hyper-V. How can I get RSTe or a similar tool working on Windows Server Core to allow Rapid Storage Technology to either: write to Windows Event Log, send email alerts, send SNMP traps, OR accept SNMP queries?

The Intel Remote Management Module appears to be very similar to SuperMicro IPMI.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Matthew_LVCNS,

We recommend you to get in contact with Super Micro*since some manufacturers have their own proprietary software for cases like yours.

At this point, we will need to research on your question and we will be back with you as soon as we have additional information. Also, please remember that if you require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Matthew_LVCNS,

Thank you for your patience.

As promised on our previous interaction we further investigated and escalated your inquiry to a higher level of support, and was confirmed that SNMP is not supported and for CLI support/questions, as we mentioned before, you should get in contact with the platform OEM/ODM.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
MKrop2
Beginner

So you are saying that you do not support RSTe or something similar on Windows Server Hyper-V or Windows Server Core? And please don't refer me to Supermicro/OEM. They are telling me to use RSTe (and offer downloads on their support site) and are referring me to you. RSTe works on the GUI edition of Windows Server Standard/Datacenter. Windows Hyper-V and Core editions have been out for a long time and have long been recommended by Microsoft as the preferred way to install Windows Server so I find it hard to believe that Intel doesn't offer any way to monitor their Raid arrays or create Windows Event Log entries from Hyper-V Server or Server Core.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Gee, are we reading the same response? The only negative that Josh mentioned was no support for SNMP - and rightly so; SNMP is an older, not a very secure technology.

As for referrals, IMHO, they are absolutely right pointing you back to SuperMicro. SuperMicro sold you the system; SuperMicro is responsible for your support.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Matthew_LVCNS,

Thank you for having contacted Intel Technical Support.

We have been monitoring your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case?

Important note: Should further assistance or clarification be required, we will greatly appreciate if you reply to this post instead of writing a new one unless your inquiry is completely unrelated. This way we will prevent generating a duplicate post and we will not lose the train of thought.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support.
0 Kudos