Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

Rebuild RAID System Disk

Brayner
Beginner

Hi,

I used to use an old version versions of your RAID Storage management tools. and when i have had disk failures it used to rebuild on the fly when i replaced the disk. really cool really worked.

I foolishly upgraded and now I am using version 18.1.1015.0 and I had a hard disk failure.

It was not my system disk, and so I swapped the disk and restarted windows 10. (I am using RAID 1, with 2 disks)

Questions:

1. I had to explicitly start the Intel Storage management  tool ( previous versions lived in system tray and Auto restarted). Why does this version not Auto Start?

2.  Previous version told me something was wrong and re-built,  this one said nothing on start-up and i had to click on verify volume to get it to start re-building. is that right ? I have to look for problems it its no longer pro-active?

3. It now has  taken the drive off line while it re-builds. As it happens that's okay as it's just a data drive , the previous  version kept it on line and I could still use the drive while it re-built. Can the drive still be on line while it re builds?

4. What if this was my System Disk, that too is on a RAID 1? What of one of those disk fails? How can it be rebuild and take the system drive off  line if I am in Windows? How does Rebuild now work on a System Drive?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello Brayner

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We need more information from the system to answer your questions, please share with us the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) results 

• Download the Intel SSU https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows
  • Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.    

Best regards,  

David G.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Brayner
Beginner

Hi,

Enclosed is the logs you requested.

All is well now. 

but  this is the weird bit ... it "worked" my drive cam back on line but half the contents were missing! ... it was about half the size.

I rebooted, and it went straight into a checkdsk

When it came back to wndows.

it no longer recognised  the new replacement drive and was back to a single disk ( all my files were back)

I then ret up the "spare disk" again  and clicked on re-build

this time it was much quicker ( last time it took 2 days) 

this time it was done in hours

and all my files are back and everything is fine.

very strange.

Question ..  how does it rebuild the system drive if it always want to take it off line ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thank you for the information provided, we are currently working on this request and the updates will be posted on the thread.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

After checking the information provided, you're using an incompatible RST version. The latest version "supported" is 14.8. The latest version available is supported on newer platforms, you have an intel chipset and processor that don't support Windows 10*. The latest RST console does not have tray icon therefore it will not AutoStart.

Because you're using incompatible software for an old computer, this is a compatibility issue. Since this is a RAID 1 volume and a system drive, you can reset disk to Non Raid and boot. No problem there, then recreate the array using the appropriate Software.

• How does it rebuild the system drive if it always want to take it off line?----> You need to break the array by setting up as Non Raid using CTRL I bios.

For more information, please contact the motherboard manufacturer. Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding. 

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos