Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Repeated error (0xA0000002) while trying to create RAID 1 with Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller on Dell XPS 8930 with two Seagate Exos X14 14TB 7200 RPM 512e/4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch Enterprise Hard Drive (ST14000NM0018)

TC2378954983427
Beginner

I create a custom volume by selecting SATA controller, Real-time data protection (RAID 1), select both disks as the array disks, keep data on Controller 0, Port 4, Proceed with deleting data on Controller 0, Port 3, and click Create Volume. Within 5 seconds, I get the error (0xA0000002): An unknown error occurred while an operation was in progress. The operation could not be completed. I have rebooted multiple times, and still get the same error. Any ideas how to troubleshoot and resolve this?

Also after the initial error, it says volume was creating successfully. However, I don't see any indication of any data being copied over or the RAID mirror being built.

I am not sure if this error is because the disks were dynamic instead of basic. I am now copying everything from one disk to the other, so that I can retry setting up RAID 1 with two basic disks instead of dynamic disks. Unfortunately this will take all day.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello TC2378954983427,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Regarding the issue described, we noticed you mentioned you will retry setting up RAID 1 with 2 basic disks. Did those steps help to solve the issue?

Also, regarding "deleting data on Controller 0, Port 3", could you please elaborate more on this step you took, what were you trying to achieve?

You may try installing the latest generic Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver

from and to re-create the Volume. Please let us know the outcome.

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
TC2378954983427
Beginner

Thanks, I updated the program and used basic drives. I no longer get the error message, but I also do not see a successful RAID array in Intel Rapid Storage Technology program.

I also happen to have two identical machines whose hardware difference is only the hard drives and memory. The machine with smaller 2TB HDDs shows a RAID 1 array. The machine with larger 14TB HDDs does not.

The individual disks are still listed. The primary drive shows status normal and usage available. The backup drive shows status normal and usage unknown. Is that normal? I'm wondering if it is building and may update to show the RAID array after some very long period of time... I don't see any status or disk activity in windows task manager that leads me to believe data is being copied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello TC2378954983427,

Thank you for your response, it is good to know you no longer get the error message.

Regarding the RAID array status on Intel® RST UI not being shown as "successful", one thing that might have happened is that at the moment of re-creating the volume or shortly after, one of the disks might have gone to "offline" status, and once it returned to "online", the system would recognize the disk and start the rebuild process, thus, the successful status would not show until the process is complete.

It is expected that the rebuild process takes longer to complete, also considering the storage capacity of the disks: 14GB.

Since you mentioned that another identical machine does show the RAID 1 array and the only difference is the hard drives and memory, there might be the possibility of incompatibility issues among the PC and the disks.

1- Have you checked with Dell for compatibility and to confirm the system support RAID configuration using these types of disks?

2- By any chance, do you have another pair of disks (could be small ones) to create a RAID array just for testing purposes and check if the behavior is different?

Please let us know any outcome you may receive.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello TC2378954983427,

Were you able to check the previous suggestions or to confirm with DELL™ about compatibility with the disks?

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello TC2378954983427,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
TC2378954983427
Beginner
It’s still a problem. I just got back from a 2 week vacation, and a RAID array was never created. This is what I see [cid:image001.png@01D5A365.9CF0F880]
0 Kudos
TC2378954983427
Beginner
After applying Nov 2019 Windows OS patches (which is the only change after perhaps a dozen tries), clearing the metadata on port 4, and trying recreate the RAID 1, the software is finally working correctly and creating the RAID mirror. [cid:image006.png@01D5A388.BEA74290]
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello TC2378954983427,

It is glad to know that the software is now working correctly. Thank you for sharing the steps you took to solve the issue, hopefully, this may help other community members experiencing a similar issue.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos