Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Restoring 2 drives in RAID 0 array on Intel C602 chipset after being unplugged

TNalo
Beginner

I was trying to fix a drive-related issue today. When my computer was off I took out one of two drives that were in a RAID 0 array on the Intel C602 chipset on the Asus Z9PE-D8 WS mobo. I put it in a hard drive dock to check its health from a laptop. I didn't reformat it or anything.

I then plugged it back into the same place on the Asus board. With the RAID 0s I have set up with the Marvell PCIe 9230 controller on the same motherboard, I can remove drives and then just plug them back in and recreate the RAID 0 array. If I don't reformat them in the controller's BIOS screen then the volume that was on the drives just comes back.

With the Intel chipset it looks like creating a new drive out of the drives that were plugged in again necessarily writes the header info for the "new" RAID 0 array onto the drives as it tells you that data will be erased. 

So right now the data is still on the drives and I'm almost positive that I didn't wreck the RAID 0 header info as I didn't do any destructive operations such as reformatting (although I don't know how the chipset noticed that the drive was unplugged as the computer was off when the drive was removed and plugged back in again).

How do I get the controller to just restore the existing RAID array instead of creating a new one? The drives are plugged in in the same order and to the same SATA ports as they were before. I can't see any options in the chipset's BIOS screen to do this, or rather, any way to recreate the RAID array without reformatting as you can do with the Marvell chipset. 

The drives are heathy. Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AdrianM_Intel

Hello TNalo,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

After checking the information provided about your system, we noticed that your motherboard Asus* Z9PE-D8 WS has a server chipset Intel® C602 Chipset and Marvell PCIe 9230 controller.

We would recommend to contact the motherboard manufacturer since those components should be support by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM)

Best Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
TNalo
Beginner

Hi, thanks for your reply. I see what you are saying, but the issue seems to be with the way that the Intel chipset firmware is handling the drives. Is there someone that would have more insight from Intel?

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello TNalo,

Thank you for your reply.

We understand this matter however based on the kind of chipset and PCIe controller that this motherboard has integrated, we recommend you contact the original equipment manufacturer since this is highly customized.

Best regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos