Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

[S5520SC] Intel embedded Server Raid II [slow; writeback cache not able to activate]

idata
Employee

Hi

My system configuration:

S5520SC

2 * X5660

6 * 4 GB Kingstons RAM

8800GTS 320MB

2 * Intel SSD X25-M

I've created a raid 0 volume with my two ssd drives. The performance sucks! (had a ICH9R P35 Chipset and reached nearly 550 MB/s with read and 180 with write, no hangs, no problems - now with embedded raid II i only reach about 210 MB/s read, 80 write and when an application is installed everything else hangs!)

I think the problem is the write back cache, it is enabled in the settings (according to raid-bios and webconsole) but the checkbox on the volume in the device manager is not checked, if i try to do so a error message appears saying windows is unable to change the state of write back cache.

Any ideas so far?

My wish would be to run the Intel Rapid Storage Technology on this Board, since I only want Raid-0 and no Server-features!!! (i also want to utilize the TRIM-Commands which are available in the newest driver release - THAT would be great!!) - if anybody can make me a bios with RST instead auf IESRT2 i would be REALLY greatful!! - but that's just a sidenote!

Hope somebody is able to help me!

thanks

best regards

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes that one i figured out by myself, but that's not the Problem - the cpu-chart is at 0-1 % so there's not the problem,

even during the performance test it's not higher!

Raid Web Console 2 says that the Write Back Cache is enabled, the Raid-Bios-Tool too
0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

I did some tests using IOMeter today. With driver 13.13.1021.2009, I got 139 MBps read and 509 MBps write (32KB sequential), which is within expectation. What's your driver version? How did you run the test?

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

I tried to run ATTO 2.46 several times on my system. The results vary from time to time, but it's not bad. Changing "Total Length" to 2GB may get you more accurate result.

Can you double check your driver version? Also check your SSD firmware version.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Your results look way better than mine!

Is the Checkbox for writeback cache in the device manager enabled?

Driver version is the same as yours (13.13.1021.2009)

The hickups you see in my results also happen during normal operation, then everything hangs and after 1-2 sec it's going back to normal
0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

No writeback cache in device manager can't be enabled on ESRT2... It's controlled in RAID Web Console 2 and is enabled by default.

Did you check your SSD firmware revision?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Today the Motherboard died

Do you think that one had a error so that it had these problems?

Firmware version on both is 02HD (had HA there was a typo)

0 Kudos