Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

SRT - Install Operating System on SSD instead of HDD?

PCorr3
Beginner

Hello Intel Community!

I understand with Smart Response Technology you install the operating system on a mechanical drive and use the small SSD as the cache drive.

But, can one keep the OS on a mid size (250GB) SSD, use 64 GBs of the SSD as cache, and still improve the performance of the mechanical HDD by using the SRT technology?

I'm hoping to maximize benefits of having the OS on a speedy SSD and still get improved performance from the HDD; I'm thinking if we keep the OS on the HDD, the OS slows down and doesn't take the full advantage of the SDD speed. How would one go about setting this up with a new computer build, since the only instruction I've found installs the OS on the HDD?

Thanks,

Patrick

Build will be

Mobo: Gigabyte Z270M-D3H

CPU: i7-7700k

SSD: M.2 NVMe Samsung 960 EVO (250GB)

HDD: 2TB Seagate

RAM: 2x8 DDR4 2400

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello ZagDog,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

In this case, the SSD that you will use for acceleration mustn't contain any OS after accelerating the system, and any remaining space on the SSD may be used for data storage only.

Hope this information helps.

Please don't hesitate in replying to this post in case you need further assistance.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
DSid
Beginner

I've got exactly same intentions, got the same drive (but z170 and 6700K) and want to use about 200GB for Win 10 and remain 40GB for HDD cache. And I guess that it is really often concept of usage. There really no solution for use SRT for this purposes? Why this limitation about containing OS? For modern SSD it is shouldn't be a problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello DEMONmachine,

An SSD that is being used for acceleration shouldn't contain any OS, in case that there is any remaining free space, it can be used to store personal data.

The reason why any OS shouldn't be installed in the SSD is because of Intel SMART Response Technology limitations.

Regards,

Juan Carlos

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ZagDog,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you need further assistance.

Please don't hesitate in replying to this post if you need additional information.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos