Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

SUPPORT ABOUT INTEL MATRIX STORAGE MANAGER

Kingstar
Beginner
Hi, sorry for my english, this is a translate, unfortunately I can't find the support for INTEL MATRIX STORAGE MANAGER, but since we are talking about RAID I hope some of you can help me on this situation.
Windows 7 PRO PC with motherboard with ICH controller, n. 2 160gb disks in RAID 1, ARRAY with 2 volumes (OS_RAID 100Gb and DATA_RAID 60Gb).
I replaced the old 160Gb disks with 500Gb ones and no problem with the reconstruction, now the situation is the same but through the INTEL MATRIX STORAGE CONSOLE 8.9 I was able to enlarge the advanced space of the matrix only on the second volume so OS_RAID remained 100Gb while DATA_RAID now 400Gb, I would like to be able to manage the extra space of the matrix also on OS_RAID and divide it equally between the two volumes, how can I do? Should I delete the DATA_RAID volume after backing up the data then expand the OS_RAID volume for what is left over on the matrix and then create a secondary partition by reducing the volume? I look forward to your prompt reply. Thanks. Regards
0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You're absolutely right; once the Data volume is completely out of the way, you can extend the OS volume without needing to upset the existing contents - in theory; the general rule with Intel RST is always produce a backup before doing any volume-level operation.

As Andy Grove used to say, “Only the paranoid survive."      ;^)

…S

View solution in original post

3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Upgrading to larger HDDs does not affect the volumes that already exist. You have gone from 160GB to 500GB, but you still have 100GB and 60GB volumes. I see no capability in the IMSM tool for growing a volume. Your choices are to (a) create a third volume in the available space or (b) grow one (or both) of these volume(s) by replacing with larger volume(s).

The process for replacing the OS_DATA volume with a larger volume is thus as follows:

1. Backup the volume contents to secondary storage. A simple file-by-file backup will suffice.
  2. Deleting the existing volume.
  3. Create a new, larger volume.
  4. Restore the volume contents from secondary storage.

If, on the other hand, you want to grow both volumes, the process is more complicated:

1. Backup the contents of both volumes to secondary storage. If OS_RAID is your bootable Windows System drive, then you will need to do a drive-level (or partition-level) image backup. Otherwise, a simple file-by-file backup will suffice. Similarly, for the OS_DATA array, a simple file-by-file backup will suffice.
  2. Delete both volumes.
  3. Create the new, larger volumes.
  4. Restore the contents to the drives.
  5. If doing image restore of OS_RAID, if restore tool cannot grow the partition to fill the volume, then this partition can be grown once you are booting from the volume.

Obviously, I am stating this very simplistically. Image backup and restore processes need to be incorporated into algorithm. Specifically, the restore step requires ability to boot the restore program. Hopefully, this program will not have to be cognizant of the RAID structure (i.e. simply sees the RAID volumes as logical drives).

Clear as mud?

....S

0 Kudos
Kingstar
Beginner
Hi n Scott pearson, thanks for the quick reply, all clear ... like mud ... I don't understand, however, in the case of increasing the size of the OS-RAID volume, obviously by first deleting the DATA_RAID volume that I had already expanded to 400Gb from 60Gb without problems (in windows device manager I extended the volume quietly), why should I also delete OS RAID?
once the DATA_RAID has been deleted (always backing up the data) I would have 400Gb free on the matrix and through MATRIX STORAGE CONSOLE I could make the OS_RAID volume take all the available space, at this point always through the windows device management I extend from 100Gb to 500Gb and I would drive only drive C:, all clear so far? is it possible to do what i'm saying?
then if I wanted to through the windows device manager I could reduce the volume of drive C: to create a second partition X: which is used as DATA_RAID.
Back to my reasoning?

I await your comments.

Thanks and have a nice day everyone
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You're absolutely right; once the Data volume is completely out of the way, you can extend the OS volume without needing to upset the existing contents - in theory; the general rule with Intel RST is always produce a backup before doing any volume-level operation.

As Andy Grove used to say, “Only the paranoid survive."      ;^)

…S