Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2081 Discussions

Samsung 4TB NVMe SSD "fell out of" RAID 1 volume. BIOS RST rebuild nearly at 24 hours.

mbmast
Beginner

Supermicro X13SAE-F motherboard.

Two Samsung 4TB NVMe SSDs, both model MZ1L23T8HBLA.

AMI V 2.22.1292

This is a new system with both NVMe SSDs participating in a RAID 1 volume.  I boot the system 2 or 3 times with no issues.  At around the 4th time I boot it, I get a message indicating an RST issue.

Booting and entering Setup, I navigate to Advanced > Intel Rapid Storage Technology > then to the RAID volume and notice that it is DEGRADED.  I am able and do initiate a rebuild to the other NVMe SSD, causing the RAID volume status to change from DEGRADED to REBUILDING.  I do not exit the BIOS (so no OS is running).

Nearly 24 hours later (22.5 hours) the status is still REBUILDING.  Unsure if the BIOS is showing me the current progress or not, I reboot the system and again enter Setup.  Again, I navigate to the RST section and the status is still REBUILDING.  Again, I remain in the BIOS and do not boot an OS.

Assuming the rebuild time should be approximately the capacity / transfer rate, with a capacity of 4TB and a write transfer rate of 2,000 MBs, this should take 35 minutes (again, no OS is running, only the rebuild).  I know this is just an estimate but given that it's been nearly 24 hours and that the status of REBUILDING survives reboots, I'm thinking something isn't right.

Comments?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello mbmast, 

Thank you for posting in the communities. Kindly please allow us to coordinate this with our team and I promise to get back to you as soon as possible. 

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello mbmast, 

Thank you for patiently waiting. Upon coordinating with our team, I want to let you know that we've previously encountered this issue wherein the rebuilding status was not progressing, and it was resolved by disabling the Intel Smart Response Technology Configuration within the BIOS. Have you tried this step as well? 

I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello mbmast, 

I am just checking in on your system regarding my previous post. Feel free to reply back to us and we will be there to assist you. I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello mbmast, 

I hope you are doing well. As we have not heard a response in the past few days, we will proceed in closing your case. Should you need assistance in the future, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

We wish you the best in your future endeavors

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos