Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

The information on this page while surely accurate, does not tell me if [1] Intel® Rapid Storage Tec

JaySimkin
Beginner

The information at  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055419/technologies.html   while surely accurate, does not tell me if [1] Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) will continue to work, as it always has or whether it will be de-activated and so no longer work; [2] its replacement is designed to be an exact replacement, that will provide at very least, the same functionality. 

Having used computers for over 40 years, I'm well aware that upgrades can be down-grades: new features may be useful, but the loss of "old features" can be very disruptive.

IRST has worked well and I'd like to continue to rely on it. As presently advised, I simply want to know if I can continue to do so.

Thanks for your kind help. I appreciate it.

Stay Safe and Well!!!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @JaySimkin

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check further these inquiries, could you please confirm if these concerns are related to using Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) or Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management Hardware Support Application on a specific system? Of this a general inquiry? (not related to an issue with a specific system/platform?).

If this is regarding/intended in order to continue using Intel® RST on a specific system, please provide the following details:

1- Purpose for using Intel® RST: (e.g.: RAID, cache acceleration, Intel® Optane™ Memory?)

2- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JaySimkin
Beginner

Dear Andrew G.

Hope you're well and stay so. Thank you for responding!

I have a RAID1. I use IRST to check that the drives are "normal". Nothing beyond that.

Sometimes, when a product reaches EOL, the absent of updates creates security risks. Sometimes, when a product reaches EOL, the product's owner not only doesn't update it, but causes the product to stop working (e.g., Adobe Flash). 

Sometimes, a replacement for the EOL product adds functionality that many find helpful, but which for others is hugely disruptive.

I simply want to know: (a) if I can continue to use IRST for my limited purpose - system status - without incurring security risks and (b) will Intel make IRST non-functional for any purpose.  If the answers to question (a) is in the affirmative and that to question (b) is in the negative, then I can continue to use IRST as I have. 

These questions are not intended to be - and do not need to be - specific to my system. 

Thanks for your kind help. I appreciate it!

Pls. stay safe and well!!

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @JaySimkin

Thank you very much for your response and clarifications. Please allow us to check this further and we will be posting back more details as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello JaySimkin

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

In regards to your questions, we would like to inform you that if you continue using old versions of Intel® RST without running updates they will continue working, but at the time that you jump to a different version, features, customizations will be affected and sometimes could disappear.

Please kindly let us know if this clarifies your concerns and/or if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello JaySimkin

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello JaySimkin

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
JaySimkin
Beginner

Dear Andrew G.,

Hope you're well. I understand IRST will still work after EOL, despite not being updated. That suffices for my purposes. 

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

Stay safe and well.

Yours truly,

Jay E. Simkin

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Remember that the 'EOL' is only for the RST GUI; not for RST itself. The old RST GUI is being replaced by the Intel Memory and Storage (MAS) app -- which, as we know, is a definite downgrade in terms of capabilities from the old RST GUI.

...S

0 Kudos