Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Unsupported platform installation error on B660 Win10 21H2 x64

ProrokRak
Beginner

Hi, I tried to install RST 19.0.0.1067 on my clean Windows 10 21H2 x64 installation but I received error saying about unsupported platform.

My motherboard is MSI MAG B660 MORTAR WIFI DDR4 and I downloaded the RST installer from the motherboard support page. So I do not understand why such error. I have looked to the installer log but I am not any smarter.

Also, since I am not familiar with Intel RST technology, does this software platform offer any advantages in comparison with generic drivers that are installed by Microsoft? I do not plan use RAID, but I do have an NVMe, SSD and classic SATA HDD disks.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You utilize RST in order to support the use of Optane modules and/or set up RAID arrays. If you are not using either of these capabilities, then it is totally unnecessary to load it. Once upon a time (many years in the past), the Intel Storage Driver delivered improved performance over that supplied by Microsoft. The Microsoft implementation has improved over time and is on par with that from Intel. Bottom line, unless you absolutely need it for Optane or RAID support, don't enable it in BIOS and don't install its drivers.

Unfortunately, it appears that the 'unsupported platform' error message is being used as a catch-all for a number of different possible errors that can be encountered by the RST installer. The most common reason for this error is if the Intel RST hardware has not been enabled in BIOS. Within BIOS Setup, if you really, really want to use Intel RST, then you need to enable it. In many BIOS, it is implemented via a parameter called SATA Mode, which you change from its AHCI setting to its RAID or Optane setting. IDK how it is implemented in your motherboard's BIOS; you will need to consult your motherboard's documentation.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You utilize RST in order to support the use of Optane modules and/or set up RAID arrays. If you are not using either of these capabilities, then it is totally unnecessary to load it. Once upon a time (many years in the past), the Intel Storage Driver delivered improved performance over that supplied by Microsoft. The Microsoft implementation has improved over time and is on par with that from Intel. Bottom line, unless you absolutely need it for Optane or RAID support, don't enable it in BIOS and don't install its drivers.

Unfortunately, it appears that the 'unsupported platform' error message is being used as a catch-all for a number of different possible errors that can be encountered by the RST installer. The most common reason for this error is if the Intel RST hardware has not been enabled in BIOS. Within BIOS Setup, if you really, really want to use Intel RST, then you need to enable it. In many BIOS, it is implemented via a parameter called SATA Mode, which you change from its AHCI setting to its RAID or Optane setting. IDK how it is implemented in your motherboard's BIOS; you will need to consult your motherboard's documentation.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
ProrokRak
Beginner

Hi @n_scott_pearson,

thank you very much for taking time to answer my question. I appreciate it.

Your explanation was concise and clear, and thus helpful for me. From what you wrote I decided I will not need to install RST. It was not activated in BIOS and I will not activate it.

I just did not want to miss a possible performance improvement if RST could provide such on non-RAID, non-Optane disks. That's why I tried to install the software. Since it would not bring any improvement in my use case, I will stay away from RST.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

As I said, once upon a time, the Intel Storage driver was faster than the Windows Storage driver. That's not true any longer; they are pretty much at par now.

You are doing the right thing, AFAIAC. It is a level of complication that you don't need to have in the picture if you don't make use of it. I see reports all the time of Dell machines having problems with RST and invariably, the user isn't using RAID or Optane. I curse Dell for always installing it regardless.

...S

0 Kudos