Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

User Guide IRST

CaledonKen
Beginner

I'm helping someone with a Dell 5810 Precision Tower running Windows 10.

I check the version of the IRST software and it appears to be Enterprise V4.3.0.1542. 

It is possible that very little maintenance has been done on this computer since it was installed in 2017 so the IRST version is likely an old one.  

The machine has a RAID 1 configuration, two 1TB drives, however the Disk on port 0 is reporting as degraded. I think the drive has failed. The motherboard is an 0HHV7N

I would like to replace the drive and rebuild the array to regain redundancy. 

I don't seem to be able to find the user manual for this software. In searching the internet there are numerous suggestion about how to go about doing this. Some suggest CRTL-I while booting, other suggest using the software and of course different versions have different processes. 

The help screens mention installing a new drive and under volume properties click Rebuild to another disk.  Not sure if I should first pull dead drive or remove from array after rebuild through software. The degrade disk is plugged into what the Motherboard calls the boot port, port 0.

This device acts as a central box for an account I was called in on.  Can't afford to lose any data so I thought I would image prior to trying anything. 

Still I would like to execute correctly and not have to go through a restore.

I assume there is a user guide with more complete instructions, would anyone be able to provide a link? 

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

CaledonKen, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the Intel® processor?

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase it? (For warranty purposes)

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this issue?

Was the computer working fine before?

If yes, When did the issue start?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
CaledonKen
Beginner

What is the model of the Intel® processor?

Intel Xeon e5-1620 v4

What is the model of the motherboard? 

As per original posting 0HHV7N

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

As per original posting this is a Dell Precision Tower Model 5810

Is this a new computer?

No. Bought 2017, warranty expired

When did you purchase it? (For warranty purposes)

2017, warranty expired, I checked.

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this issue?

Hard to say, just got called into this account. I checked Raid and drive on Port 0 reporting degraded. 

Was the computer working fine before?

Computer works fine, Raid 1 has failed. No telling how long this drive has been degraded.

If yes, When did the issue start?

Can't tell, not logged in IRST software that I can find

Which Windows* version are you using?

V21H2 or H1. I know I checked to ensure it was supported. 

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

It is a work machine, acting as the central box, could call it their server.

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

This I can't do. Currently no access to machine. 

I've been doing more reading online about how to repair Raid 1 using IRST. Was hoping there was a section in a manual. 

I thank you for responding so quickly. If you need anything else let me know and I will try to get answers. The disk on port 0 is showing as degraded in IRST software. 

0 Kudos
CaledonKen
Beginner

So does anyone have a link to a user manual for this version of IRST?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

CaledonKen, Thank you very much for providing that information. 

In reference to your question about the user manual, since the customer is working with the Intel® RST Enterprise V4.3.0.1542, in the following link you will find the user guide for that version that was actually released for a "Server" environment:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006510/server-products.html

The customer might be able to find the information needed in there. Still, we will do further research on this matter, either, to provide the proper responses to your original inquiries or to point you in the right direction for support. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
CaledonKen
Beginner

Thank you Albert. 

I will read. Hopefully the process is semi automated. Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, CaledonKen.

Perfect, the process should not be a problem, generally just by removing the failed disk and inserting its replacement in the same location should start the rebuilding process (if Auto Rebuild was enabled as described in section 2.5.24 of the guide).

The on-screen options in the pre-OS environment and the Windows interface is also pretty straightforward, so the different methods you saw online are correct (pre-OS process described in page 26 of the user guide).

I will keep the ticket open and will follow up on July 25th in case we can help you with anything else.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, CaledonKen.

I wanted to follow up on your thread to check if I can help you with anything else.

The thread will be closed on July 28th if there is no confirmation about further assistance being required.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
CaledonKen
Beginner

Hi Bruce. Thank you for following up. It is appreciated. 

I have not gained access to this machine yet. This machine supports a pharmacy and they are very busy. 

I have pointed out risk of total failure to owner. As soon as I can gain access I will be back. 

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, CaledonKen.

I understand, I will keep the thread open and will set the next follow up to take place on August 1st just in case.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, CaledonKen.

This message is just to follow up on your thread.

I will set the next follow up to take place on August 5th, but please let me know if you would like to keep the ticket open a bit longer.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
CaledonKen
Beginner

Thank you for all the help. 

The owner hired someone with experience to deal with this.  

Please close this thread. Again I appreciate the help. 

I maybe back. 

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, CaledonKen.

I see, in that case I hope they do not encounter any problems.

The thread will be closed right now and no longer monitored by Intel support, but if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, just open a new thread, or contact us via any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos