Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Why is VROC RSTe not on par with other RSTe programs?

VKell1
Novice

I have just installed a new system that uses the VROC RSTe. Having used RSTe before, I was amazed to see in this iteration has NO ability to schedule a verification scan (must be done manually), and email settings that do not support SSL (no password field for outbound email, no tick for such). As a supposed 'enterprise' product, I find these two items disturbingly NOT enterprise grade, making me wonder if I actually have a decent bit of gear now?!?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DiegoV_Intel

Hi Vince,

Thank you for your response and for the clarification.

I really understand what you mean. Actually, just after posting my previous response, I forwarded to the proper team your feedback and the recommendation to include these features in future releases so that they can be considered. However, I don’t have any estimated date or even any update about when a new possible release of the software may be available.

Hopefully they can be included in a future release of the software. If I receive any update about this, or about any new release, I will share it here. However, if a new version is available, it will be added to the following site for download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28016/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-enterprise-Intel-RSTe-AHCI-and-SCU-Software-RAID-Driver-for-Windows-, so you may consider as well to keep an eye on that site for any new version.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DiegoV_Intel

Hi VKell1,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

Please let me investigate about this, so that I can provide to you an accurate answer to your inquiry. 

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi VKell1,

After investigating about your concern, I was informed that the Intel® RSTe software has never had an option for SSL notification or do scheduled verification. If you are stating that you could do these in previous versions, it may be possible that you were using a customized OEM version that enabled the features, but right now these options are not available in current version, and they were not available either in previous ones.

I hope this information clarifies your inquiry.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi VKell1,

I'm wondering if there is anything else I can help you with.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
VKell1
Novice

Thanks for looking into this DeigoV

I think I should have clarified, and stated that it is the Intel RST, not RSTe feature I was comparing it against. In the help and settings for RST (v15.2.0.1020):

“Configuring the scheduler to run verify and repair operations automatically

You can schedule a verify and repair operation to run once or schedule a recurring verify and repair operation to run daily, weekly, or monthly. Refer to the Verifying and Repairing Data topic for more information about manually verifying data on an existing volume.”

I cannot remember if the email section had an SSL and password option. My point is, as an enterprise product it should be even MORE fully featured than the basic(?) offering. I find it unusual that a feature that is in one almost identical software management tool (RST) does not have the same features in the other (RSTe).

These are simple features and well past time they were implemented to assist sys admins in their job – who wants to manually check a system daily (or has time for this?), and the days of simple email sending without password and SSL are over, and have been for several years. These are simple changes that need urgent action.

Cheers, Vince

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi Vince,

Thank you for your response and for the clarification.

I really understand what you mean. Actually, just after posting my previous response, I forwarded to the proper team your feedback and the recommendation to include these features in future releases so that they can be considered. However, I don’t have any estimated date or even any update about when a new possible release of the software may be available.

Hopefully they can be included in a future release of the software. If I receive any update about this, or about any new release, I will share it here. However, if a new version is available, it will be added to the following site for download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28016/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-enterprise-Intel-RSTe-AHCI-and-SCU-Software-RAID-Driver-for-Windows-, so you may consider as well to keep an eye on that site for any new version.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
VKell1
Novice

Thanks DiegoV for pushing it to the devs, I will look forward to the new version that has these features :)