cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AKron3
Beginner

Win update 1903 fails and updated RST drivers fail on installation

Jump to solution

There is no app or package I can find that shows the iastora.sys and but there are 10 files on the computer, iastora.sys and iastorAV.sys. These files date from 9/9/2016 to 3/18/2019.

ASUS does not have these drivers and when I try and update with the ones provided by Intel the update fails with a fatal error. The log files are attached. What needs to be done to fix this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

Then, go to windows/system32/drivers and rename iastora.sys to iastora.tmp, and do the 1903 upgrade.

Doc

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Make certain you have a backup of your system or checkpoint before you do this.

Download and install https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28966/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interf...

Reboot.

Then, go to windows/system32/drivers and rename iastora.sys to iastora.tmp.

Do your 1903 upgrade.

Report back with the results.

Doc

AKron3
Beginner

I tried that but the update won't install. The log files I sent were from an update from a different Intel link because the other one failed. In other words I can not install the RTS update from either packages.

AlHill
Super User

Then, go to windows/system32/drivers and rename iastora.sys to iastora.tmp, and do the 1903 upgrade.

Doc

View solution in original post

AlHill
Super User

Also, what version of windows 10 are you using? 1809?

Doc

AKron3
Beginner

I'm running version 1803, OS build 17134.885. I'll do a full backup first. After I rename iastora.sys and do the upgrade do I change the name back to the original? Attempt the Intel RST upgrade again? What will happen to my many USB attached drives and Acronis backup once the file is renamed?

AlHill
Super User

I have not seen it necessary to rename the file back to the original name. Nothing else should be affected as I believe the file is a leftover and not used.

Doc

AKron3
Beginner

Okay, here we go, thanks.

Edit: Done and all seems to be working. Thanks.

AlHill
Super User

Glad you have it working.

Doc