Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

high CPU usage of Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Management Service

veer
Novice

My laptop is doing nothing and suddenly out of nowhere fan ramp up like I am playing some game. Upon checking into task manager it was intel rapid storage technology, taking almost 100% of SSD usage and 40% of CPU usage. This high CPU usage thing is happening since I bought the laptop(15 months ago). I thought it was normal. Is this normal behavior or I am having some real issues? 

0 Kudos
17 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello veer,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. If possible, provide a report from the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology.

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html

3. Do you use the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology? If so, what is your RAID configuration?

4. Are you using the latest Intel® Rapid Storage Technology driver version from your laptop manufacturer?

5. Can you take pictures from the task manager?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
veer
Novice

scan of Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello veer, 

Thanks for the report.

In order to continue, I would appreciate it if you can help me with the following questions:

1. Have you updated the BIOS?

2. Do you use the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology? If so, what is your RAID configuration?

3. Are you using the latest Intel® Rapid Storage Technology driver version from your laptop manufacturer?

4. Can you take pictures from the task manager?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
veer
Novice

yes I have updated my bios. I have everything I could find.

And the rest I have given in ss.

0 Kudos
veer
Novice

This rapid storage thing is again running after a week (today). it is running continuously for more than 2 hour 

0 Kudos
veer
Novice

still consuming CPU non stop

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello veer, 

Thank you for the information provided.

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello veer, 

I would like to confirm some information:

1. Are you using this for Raid or any volume?

If you are not using the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) to crate a RAID or a volume, you can proceed to uninstall it since in not being used.

Follow the steps from this manual:

- https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/technologies/intel-rst-installation-and-user-guide.pdf

Best regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
veer
Novice

A. Is it not specified in the screenshot provided? I have given a ss of disk management.

If i am not using it, why is it taking so much cpu. If intel optane memory is provided in my laptop, i want to use it. Tell me how to use not uninstalling. 

Is there any way to chat live, this community thing takes a lot time to solve problem

0 Kudos
veer
Novice

A. Is it not specified in the screenshot provided? I have given a ss of disk management.

If I am not using it, why is it taking so much CPU. If intel Optane memory is provided in my laptop, I want to use it. Tell me how to use not uninstalling. 

Is there any way to chat live, this community thing takes a lot time to solve problem.

0 Kudos
veer
Novice

As far as I know both Optane and SSD are in same drive, is there any way to separate it and use it.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello veer, 

Thanks for the information provided. 

In order to proceed, please help me with the following information:

1. Are you using the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) version from Asus or Intel?

2. What is the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) driver version?

3. What is your RAID configuration? Or, are you using the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) just to control the Optane memory?

I would like to let you know that we provide support for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) via web ticket (email), not on live support.

You will find information about how to control the Optane memory in the following links. However, since it is installed on a laptop some features/options may be limited by the manufacturer (Asus) and I recommend you to get in contact with them for specific instructions like if is possible to use the SSD and Optane memory individually even if are the same drive.

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057208/technologies/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst.html

Best regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
veer
Novice

this error message is appearing

0 Kudos
veer
Novice

yesterday I installed Optane memory app on my device to check the details you asked for. after that I pinned some apps to it. then a restart and windows went blue screen error saying, unmount able drive. I made windows reset. (before resetting) I have disabled all my notification(may be that was reason I didn't received this notification before). after reset the notification started popping up whenever I open explorer.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello veer, 

Thanks for the information.

In this case, I will appreciate it if you can provide the following details:

1. Did you receive the same error with Windows 10?

2. Can you re-install Windows 10 and provide the information previously requested?

Best regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello veer, 

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello veer, 

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos