Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

installing RST on system with degraded raid

ohnowwhat
Beginner

i have a SuperMicro system with X10DRI-P board, running windows 10, RAID 1 with 2 ssd's using the sSATA section of the BIOS.  It is degraded, with the helpful message "error occurred". 

I wanted to install the RST software to get more info.  The one provided by SM has older drivers than what are currently installed.  The board has the C612 chipset, and the latest RST versions don't list that in the Readme.  I found the v14 version that states it is c600 compatible.

But, Readme only shows up to win 8 compatibility - so my questions are:

1. will RST v14 actually work on windows 10?

2. is it safe to install on a system with a degraded RAID?

I have conversed at length w/ SM support, and their stance is: if the red LED is on, the ssd is bad, no matter what the SMART says.  They also said i would need to get the software from intel.com...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

ohnowwhat, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

just to let you know, in reference to this case, since you are using a Supermicro board with a Server Intel® C612 Chipset, in order to get further assistance on this matter, you will need to get in contact with Supermicro directly so they can help you with this scenario, you mentioned you already contact them, but they will be ones that will be able to provide all the details that you are looking for:

https://www.supermicro.com/en/support

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
ohnowwhat
Beginner

My two questions are *specifically* about the intel software.  I don't see how SM can be an authority on that.

1. will RST v14 actually work on windows 10?  The intel page https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26759/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver states it is win 10 compatible, the Readme and installer only go up to win 8.  Which is correct?

2. is it safe to install on a system with a degraded RAID?

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

ohnowwhat, Thank you very much for your response.

Both questions will depend on the type of board you are using and the chipset of it, to determine which Intel® RST version will work with it and if it is safe to install it on a system with a degraded RAID using a server board.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos