Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

"Unknown Error Occurred While Running This Application. If the problem persists, please restart your computer or try reinstalling the application." I tried re-installing but can't.

DTrau2
Beginner

When I try to start the Intel Rapid Storage Technology application, I get the following error message.

An Unknown Error Occurred While Running This Application. If the problem persists, please restart your computer or try reinstalling the application.

Restarting doesn't help. I have tried several versions of the RST software downloaded from Intel's site, but non of them run

I am running Windows7 and with RAID 1.

Can someone help me re-install, if that is indeed what I need to do?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What processor and chipset are you using?

0 Kudos
DTrau2
Beginner

The PC is at work so I’ll have to check tomorrow morning.

Actually since I posted this, I came across this post, where you, Scott, also responded:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490V63SAE/irst-quit-working-windows-7-an-unknown-error-occurred-while-running-this-application?language=en_US

OP there had the a similar issue with being unable to run RST, and he had the same motherboard, and the same thing where RST categorizes some HDDs (2 of 4 in my case) as not part of the RAID array. And when I went in to the Bios and looked at SATA mode it was also inexplicably changed to AHCI.

But when I changed it back to RAID and rebooted, the system could no longer find bootmgr and kept telling me to reboot. So I took all of the HDDs (which are non-boot volumes) and put them into an identical PC, RST launched fine but still thinks that two of the 4 RAID HDDs aren’t in the array. 

I’m hoping I’ll also be able to use TestDisk, which I have never used before, to copy my files to the C: drive. One difference between our situations is I’’m using RAID1 while he was on RAID5, don’t know how that affects my likelyhood of success compared to him.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am confused: Is your boot drive completely separate from this RAID array or are you booting from the array?

If it is separate, you are only going to be able to boot from it if the SATA Mode is set to what it was when you installed Windows. That is, if you had it set to RAID when you installed Windows, then you can only boot while it is set to RAID.

So, you've got the SATA Mode changed back to RAID. You shouldn't have any problems booting from your system drive if Windows was installed to it while the SATA Mode was set to RAID. If it cannot boot, then this might be an indicator of some more major problem. Perhaps something is failing on the motherboard.

So, on this other PC, have you tried adding the two drives back into the array?

...S

0 Kudos
DTrau2
Beginner

Yes, these drives in the RAID are separate from the boot drive.

Can you tell me how to add the drives back to the array? Your help is super-appreciated, thanks!

0 Kudos
DTrau2
Beginner

Also when I look at the partition types, the two drives not in the array are GPT while the two drives in the array are MBR and 'Not Applicable'.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Having never done so, I am not sure how. Intel Customer Support will need to take over this case...

...S

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello DTrau2, If you are able to boot into Windows*, we would like to gather more information about your system configuration. 1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread. 1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. 2. If you are still unable to boot into Windows*, please provide the following information: -Motherboard model -Intel® Processor number -Intel® Chipset -Operating system and build number Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
DTrau2
Beginner

Ok, here's the report.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello DTrau2, Thank you for attaching the report requested. We will review this information and get back to you soon. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello DTrau2, Based on the description of the issue, it seems that the drives have not failed. We recommend following these steps: 1. Check the priority of the RAID volume in the system BIOS setting related to boot order. 2. Make sure the SATA mode is set to RAID (provided the operating system was installed in this SATA mode). 3. If you are able to open the Intel® RST User Interface, go to "Manage" and add the drives to the existing RAID volume. 4. If you cannot launch the Intel® RST UI, then go to RST BIOS Extension, reset to non-RAID and create a new RAID volume. Note: Based on the motherboard specifications, we recommend using Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver Version: 14.8.16.1063. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26759/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver Please back up your data before attempting these steps. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
DTrau2
Beginner

I am able to open the Intel RST User Interface, but can you tell me how to add the drives to the RAID volume? In the Manage tab, I don't see any obvious way to do this...

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello DTrau2, To better assist you, could you please attach pictures of the following tabs from the Intel® RST UI and BIOS? 1. "Create" Tab 2. "Manage" Tab 3. RST BIOS extension Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
DTrau2
Beginner
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello DTrau2, Thank you for attaching the pictures requested. Based on the information provided, you are unable to add more drives to the RAID 10 volume because the array failed. This usually means that the structure and data are lost. This could have been caused by the SATA mode change from RAID to AHCI. 1. Unless you are unable to access your data, we recommend you to back up your data. 2. Then, delete the RAID 10 volume using the RST BIOS Extension. If this is not clear, we recommend consulting your system's documentation. 3. Create another RAID volume using the Option ROM Create a RAID 10 Volume Using the Option ROM https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006439/technologies.html Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
DTrau2
Beginner

Will this erase what's on the HDDs?

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello DTrau2 Yes, deleting the RAID would erase the current data on the HDDs. as mentioned previously of the RAID is reporting the failed status this means the structure and data are lost. NOTE: we recommend having a backup of the data RAID data to about data loss. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello DTrau2, If you have any further questions, we will be glad to assist you. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos