Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

unknown error when opening configuration gui

RMeie2
Beginner

Windows 2016 and 2019. I'm trying to open the gui of RSTe and I'm always getting an "unknown error" in the event log I can find those two "information" entries, whenever I try to open the gui.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <Events> <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> <System> <Provider Name="IRST_UI"/> <EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID> <Level>4</Level> <Task>0</Task> <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-03-31T11:49:59.765377100Z"/> <EventRecordID>121</EventRecordID> <Channel>Application</Channel> <Computer>WIN-CDC6AN3G0J1</Computer> <Security/> </System> <EventData> <Data>Failed to load Storage Data from Driver</Data> </EventData> </Event> <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> <System> <Provider Name="PSI"/> <EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID> <Level>4</Level> <Task>0</Task> <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-03-31T11:49:57.187715100Z"/> <EventRecordID>120</EventRecordID> <Channel>Application</Channel> <Computer>WIN-CDC6AN3G0J1</Computer> <Security/> </System> <EventData> <Data>Warning: Initial Storage Driver Data Load failed. The driver may be busy.</Data> </EventData> </Event> </Events>

I tried all drivers, including the latest one. Mainboard does have a 5.4 version of RST. And... it also has a problem with the backplanes attached to it. They seem never to finish the "initialization".

My first question would be: Could it be the problem, that the driver really is "busy" because of this never ending initialization or is just the backplane never terminating the initialization? (I can use the disks by the way). ... and my second question would be... IF this is not the problem. Then why can your new drivers not communicate with older versions of an RST bios? Do you hire m...s ???

Sorry, but... RST is almost never working. What's the problem with you Intel? I had problems with the SSD acceleration on desktops (doesn't work with drivers >= 16, no idea why) and now with RSTe ... we cannot use our new servers. Do I have to buy other raid-controllers? Who will pay for that? Should I buy an Epyc board??

0 Kudos
20 Replies
JosafathB_Intel
Hello RMeie2, Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support. As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel® RSTe). If we infer correctly we will appreciate if you can provide us with the following information: • The SSU logs. 1- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ and download the software. 2- When finished downloading it, open it. 3- Attach the file obtained to your reply. • A screenshot of the “Disk Management” of windows showing all your HDDs and partitions. • Information regarding your current system and BIOS configuration to try to reproduce your issue. We will be looking forward to your reply. Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RMeie2
Beginner

ok, done and attached...

Information about the bios is in the log, but... it's a Gigabyte MD71-HB0 with an F24 bios (contains the v5.4.0.1039 of RST as far as I can see from release notes).

0 Kudos
RMeie2
Beginner

why can I only attach one file??? here's the second one

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello RMeie2, Thank you for your reply. Based on the SSU logs you provided we noticed the following: - "Operating System" OS Name: "Microsoft Windows Server 2019 Standard" - "Motherboard" Manufacturer: "GIGABYTE" Product: "MD71-HB0-00" Chipset Intel® C622 Express Chipset Based on your motherboard original equipment manufacturer (OEM) website the list of OS that are compatible and supported on your board are the following: Windows Server 2012 R2 (x64) Update1 Windows Server 2016 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.9 (x64) Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.3 (x64) SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11.4 (x64) SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12.2 (x64) Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS (x64) VMware ESXi 6.5 https://www.gigabyte.com/Server-Motherboard/MD71-HB0-rev-10#sp Based on your OEM support website (https://www.gigabyte.com/Server-Motherboard/MD71-HB0-rev-10#support-dl-driver-sataraidahci) The recommended Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel® RSTe) version is [5.2.0.1215] and the compatible OS are Windows Server 2016 64bit and Windows Server 2012 R2 64bit. Our latest version of the Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) and Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise (Intel® RSTe) Driver for Windows* (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28426/Intel-Virtual-RAID-on-CPU-Intel-VROC-and-Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Enterprise-Intel-RSTe-Driver-for-Windows-) is the Version: 5.5.0.1369 and based on the release notes (https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28426/eng/Intel(R)_RSTe_5.5.0.1369_ReleaseNotes.pdf): 1.3 Supported Operating Systems Only 64bit OS support is available for the following OS versions • Windows* 7 SP2 (supported on Workstations only) • Windows* Server 2012 R2 Enterprise (supported on Server platform only) • Windows* 10 RS3 / RS4 (supported on Workstations platforms only) • Windows* Server 2016 Enterprise (supported on Server platform only) Note: Microsoft* Windows* 7 will not be supported in future releases As you can see Windows* Server 2019 is not listed as supported tested or validated. We advise you to use Windows* Server 2016 and to try to install the RSTe driver from your motherboard OEM website. Another option is to open a ticket with Microsoft* in order to get further assistance with your issue. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation Third Party Content: Web Sites and Materials may contain user or third party submitted content; such content is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Intel and is provided solely as a convenience to our customers and users. Under no circumstances will Intel be liable in any way for any third party submitted or provided content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions, or damages of any kind. ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE MATERIALS IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR OTHER DEVICE OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY SUCH MATERIAL. By your use, you agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of any third party content, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such content. All postings and use of the Web Sites or Material are subject to these Terms of Use and any other program and site specific terms.
0 Kudos
RMeie2
Beginner

yes... sure... I also tried this combination (Windows 2016 with excactly the driver you mentioned) ... I do have this combination on another server... so, if you want, we can start the process for this machine too... but, that's a little bit annoying

and by the way

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28681/Intel-Virtual-RAID-on-CPU-Intel-VROC-and-Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-enterprise-Intel-RSTe-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2019-

and the release notes there say... 2019 -> works!

as I sayed... annoying... really... clearing all this over and over again with every supporter is sooooooo annoying... can we start with debugging the problem now??

and just to mention that too... -> why the hell does your tool not include the driver version of the RSTe on the machine? like that you would have seen immediately, that you found the wrong version in the download center

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello RMeie2, Thank you for your reply. The Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) and Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel® RSTe) Driver for Windows Server 2019* Version: 5.5.0.2015 is supported on Windows Server 2019* Enterprise (supported on server platform only) only and as mentioned in the previous post your OS is "Microsoft* Windows Server 2019 Standard" (not Enterprise). • We advise you to contact your OEM (original equipment manufacturer) to get further assistance for your product. This based on the fact that the driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer. We recommend you work with your computer manufacturer before installing our driver so you don’t lose features or customizations. We advise you to use Windows* Server 2016 and to try to install the RSTe driver from your motherboard OEM website. If the issue persisted after using your OEM driver and the OS supported by your OEM, provide us with screenshots of the error and a new copy of the SSU logs. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RMeie2
Beginner

There is no "Windows Server 2019 Enterprise"... there are ONLY the Versions "Standard" and "Datacenter" (ask Microsoft I you don't believe it). And "supported on server platform only" (something that Intel says) means, that the BIOS must have the RSTe software included (not just the "consumer" RST) and that is included (I even gave you the version of that).

And what I also told you is, that I did install the Windows Server 2016 AND the driver from the Gigabyte website AND that I had excactly!! the same error!

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello RMeie2, Thank you for your reply. We advise you to contact your OEM (original equipment manufacturer) to get further assistance for your product. This based on the fact that the driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer. In order to provide you with further assistance, we will require a new copy of the SSU and screenshots of the error using your OEM driver and the OS supported by your OEM. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RMeie2
Beginner

all the info you want ... and the driver is not "changed" it contains a signature of Intel (the setup file) ... pure RSTe from Intel

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello RMeie2,

Thank you for your reply.

We tried to reproduce your issue in our lab using a similar GIGABYTE* motherboard, Windows* server 2016 standard and the same version of drivers that you used (based on the screenshots you shared) available on your OEM website (downloaded from the server in America) and we were able to install RSTe without any issue.

We advise you to open a ticket in parallel with Microsoft* and your OEM in order to discard any issue related to the configuration and set up of your system.

RSTE gigabyte.PNG

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
RMeie2
Beginner

what's the version of RSTe on the board?

0 Kudos
RMeie2
Beginner

and be a bit more precise... you wanted me to give you all the information in a very detailed way... now please do the same... I want to know everything

or send me the debugversion and source code of the driver and I'll start the debugger myself...

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello RMeie2, Thank you for your reply. The version of the RSTe on the board is the”Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel® RSTe)-SATA option ROM- 4.2.0.1036. The Source code of the driver is not available for the public and there is a chance that you would need of an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) with Intel® in order to get this information. If you have an NDA, we need you to provide us with the NDA (non-disclosure agreement) number that you or your company signed with us in order to try to get an approval to share the information you requested with you. Please take into consideration that Intel® manufactures and sells the components directly to your OEM and they are the ones that develop and modify these components to match their needs. We advise you to contact your OEM (original equipment manufacturer) to get further assistance for your product. This based on the fact that the driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer. We recommend you work with your computer manufacturer before installing our driver so you don’t lose features or customization. In order to provide you with the information you requested and to continue with the process please provide us with the NDA number or get in contact with your OEM/place of purchase in order to get further assistance. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RMeie2
Beginner

I'll see what I can do for this NDA number, but... other thing first. You invested a significant amount of time now and... the result is zero. I don't see why you tried to proof that the driver I don't want (because it's not the latest) does work with an RSTe that's not on my board, never was on my board and never will be on my board. And, additionally, we cannot win any new knowledge, because you did not even use version 5 but version 4 for your test. So... what do we know now? The 2 year old driver works with a 4 year old bios... great... does this help now? Think about this... what you do is wasting your companies money! ... and I think you should improve your processes. That would help in the upcomming battle against AMD and ARM technologies.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello RMeie2, Thank you for your reply. We tested your OEM driver on different workstations and servers (that have all the different available versions of the RSTe) using Windows* server 2016 and as mentioned we did not experience any issue similar to the one you are describing, In order to provide you with the information you requested and to continue with the process please provide us with your NDA number, or get in contact with your motherboard OEM or Microsoft* in order to get further assistance. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello RMeie2, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support. I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RMeie2
Beginner

No, it is not solved... let's continue!

I tried other things... first I did use the AHCI mode instead of the RAID mode... same problem (Windows 2016 and 2019 and all driver versions I found... took me hours to complete). Then I went to the BIOS and activated "VMD technology" (that's deactivated by default). After that, the gui did start. Great I thought... so then it's just that the driver HAS A BUG THAT IT CANNOT HANDLE A DEACTIVATED VMD??? ... (that's the first thing I want to make clear... there IS A BUG IN YOUR DRIVER!!!). ... but then I tried to reactivate the RAID mode... problem -> settings inside BIOS didn't get activated after that... so, RAID mode AND VMD activated seems to cause troubles inside the BIOS or (Windows doesn't show the device at all) it may completely disable RSTe?? something like that... I don't understand it, but it seems that there's also a bug in your BIOS...

So... what do you say now?

0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi RMeie2,

Greetings from Intel® SSD Support.

This is a friendly reminder your case remains open, awaiting for your reply.

Please let us know if you might need further assistance.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Santiago A.

0 Kudos
RMeie2
Beginner

Yes, I need further assistance... see my last posting... and why SSD Support? For me it's pretty obvious, that the problem is the RSTe driver.

0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi RMeie2,

Thank you for your reply to Intel® SSD support group.

As indicated on previous replies, we ran our lab tests under similar conditions as your particular case, we weren’t able to replicate the problem or situation your’re facing; please bear in mind, the products are manufactured by Intel®, that includes RSTe drivers; however, as OEM products, Intel® provides generic versions; your computer manufacturer is responsible for altered features, customization incorporated, or other changes made. Your product has been altered by the OEM; in this case, Gigabyte*.

Please get in contact with your OEM, if Gigabyte* needs further assistance to find a solution, they will internally get in contact with Intel® and assistance will be provided directly from your OEM

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Santiago A.

0 Kudos