Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Ask An Expert - The Server Room

idata
Employee

<![CDATA[<font size="3">Welcome to intel.com/ITopia. Join the discussion, debate and collaborate. This is your opportunity to *ask our experts* what you want to know about Intel's latest technologies. The floor is yours.]]><![CDATA[<hr>]]><![CDATA[<font size="2">+This discussion is not intended to answer PC support question. If you have a support question go to {document:id=1086}.+]]>

0 Kudos
280 Replies
idata
Employee

We are highly interested to buy a Modular server for our company, but Your Modular server chassis for six Server Compute Modules and fourteen SAS 2.5" hard disk drives is too big for us.

Are You planning in the futere to produce also a smaller verssion e.g. with 3 Compute modules and 7 HDDs?

Thank You

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The Intel Modular server is offered through Intel Authorized Distribution as a set of building blocks, so the initial configuration could be based around a single compute module, (or several). One recommendation is to search on 'Intel Modular Server' from Intel.com, and you should see a "Where to Buy" link that refers to Intel Authorized distributors as well as Intel Premier Provider resellers and integrators that may be able to help you directly with configurations and the like.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We are not planning on developing a smaller version to answer your question. May I ask how small you are looking for? Did you know that the cross over point for servers is 3 in this system? So in other words you can purchase this system with 3 servers in it or 3 rack servers (with RAID 5) for approx. the same price. There are major differences on the benefits you get from this system though that you can't get from a rack or ped server

0 Kudos
JLodh
New Contributor II

Dear Guest,

Though your question has already been answered however I would like to add more it.

Intel Modular Server is based on Multiflex chassis and has been introduced into market addressing the needs of SMB sector. Before these, Intel Blade Servers were introduced that address SMB and even Large Enterprises however it has been discontinued and it has not been long since Modular servers are in market. Now as for your requirement, open up another discussion in the Server Room and let us see what your requirements are and let us see what we can do about it.

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

which is the best intel processor for graphics?

Core 2 Duo/Extreame/quad/vrpo

0 Kudos
William_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for your question on Intel processors. Current Intel processor designs do not include an integrated GPU as part of the CPU. The graphics subsystem is part of the CPU chipset and can be either integrated within the chipset or discrete on the PCI bus for example. For more information on chipsets, click http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/ here .

0 Kudos
JimmyLeon
Employee

In general you want a balanced PC. A mix of good processor performance and graphics performance. In general if you take a low end processor and pair it with a high end graphics card, you will not get the most performance advantage for your system. The choice of processor Core 2 Duo, Extreme, or Quad depends on the type of user you are and your budget. If you are gamer, look for Extreme processors. If you are more of a mainstream user, I would choose a Core 2 Duo or a Core 2 Quad. I would personally go for the Core 2 Quad because it will give you other performance advantages besides graphics such as in multi-tasking environments, media encoding, digital content creation, rendering, etc.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just bought a D975XBX hooked EM64T plextor 716SA Audigy pro 4 4G RAM and XT800XL ATI video card all of which worked beautifuuly with XP Pro. That is until I Upgraded from my old D925XCV board to the one I got now. My system is up and running can you examine it remotely and fix my sound so it plays without voice distortion. Please make me a believer in intel products and support as I stuck by intel and plan to buy many more products shortly. However, I would like you to show me your company deserves my loyalty. Many company people are observing this process and are waiting for a positive response.Please help me!?!

0 Kudos
William_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for your question on Desktop Products. This discussion is focused on answering questions regarding Intel Server products such as XEON 2 & 4 way server technologies. For information and support on other matters related to Intel and its products and technologies refer to our http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-1086 Support & Feedback, or contact the appropriate Intel group http://www.intel.com/feedback.htm here for further support. Please let us know if we have been helpful to you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Which xeon CPU and work station mother board give best result for grahics and rendering works. Does these board nVIDIA Quad FX1600 garphics cards?

0 Kudos
JimmyLeon
Employee

I would recommend you start with a Intel(r) Xeon(r) processor 5400 series. Which processor model you pick depends on your budget, but I would start with at least with 2GHz model (E5405). More processor performance will obviously give you better rendering performance. See: http://www.intel.com/performance/workstation/xeon/dcc.htm As far as motherboards, are your looking to build your own or purchase an already built system? If you are looking to build your own, look for Xeon motherboards vendor such as Tyan, Supermicro, Gigabyte, or MSI. Make sure these motheboards have the Intel 5400 chipset and x16 PCI Express Gen2 graphics slots for longevity. If you are looking for a already built system, check Dell, HP, or Lenovo Intel Xeon based workstations. I'd personally go for a already built system. These vendors will give a range of choices on graphics cards depending also on your budget. I believe the Quadro FX1600 is a old model, you should look to purchase a card to support DirecX10 such a the Quadro FX370 or FX570 (entry models) or FX1700 (mid-range model).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I am wondering about the physical size of the new Nehalem desktop CPU sockets, and whether or not current aftermarket coolers that use adapters to fit every current socket will still fit these sockets.

I am also wondering how many different new desktop Nehalem processors you are targeting for Q4 2008 as opposed to Q1/2 2009.

0 Kudos
PAM_D_Intel
Employee

Hi-

Thanks for your interests in our new generation microarchitecture (Nehalem). All the public information on Nehalem comes from April Intel Developer Forum recently held in Shanghai. Please go to http://www.intel.com/idf/index.htm , click on the "content catalog" on the left and search for Nehalem. You should see three presentations. You may find the session on Desktop Platform Technologies and Trends and Technology Insights interesting. I'd also suggest that you attend IDF San Francisco in August to learn the latest information ahead of product release.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

what is the difference between processor speed of 1.7 M and speed 1.73 M ??

0 Kudos
Brian_Cockrell
Employee

In response to "what is the difference between processor speed of 1.7 M and speed 1.73 M ??"

You can determine the differences in processors and technology at this page: http://compare.intel.com/pcc/default.aspx?familyid=5&culture=en-US&iid=products_xeon5000+body_compare

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

what is better laptop, one with core 2 duo and one with core duo only ? and why?

0 Kudos
Brian_Cockrell
Employee

In response to "what is better laptop, one with core 2 duo and one with core duo only ? and why?"

The answer is "it depends". It depends on your intended purpose for the laptop. You can match up your intended usage with the benefits chart on this page http://www.intel.com/products/centrino/compare.htm to determine which processor is better for you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Here are the details of my system:

Manufacturer: DELL COMPUTER CORPORATION

Model: DIMENSION 4600C

CPU: INTEL® PENTIUM® 4 CPU 2.80GHz

Memory: 256.00 MB

Hard Disk Drives: "C" - 16.96 GB Free

(38.25 GB Total)

I ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor which told me I needed to install more RAM, a dvd-rw drive and a new video card. I'to be built into the computer from the factory if the salesman who took my order had informed me that these items were even available to put in my computer when it was being built. I have located an external hard drive, an external cd-rw/dvd-rw drive - it's just that I don't know what video card or processor it is that I need to purchase to upgrade my system. I just put a new Windows XP processor in my computer within the last month. I'd planned on buying additional hard drive space and memory for my system anyway - I just need to know which video card and processor I should buy for this computer, if that is possible - and I'll be ready to go. Dell tells me that I shouldn't upgrade this system as it was made with Windows XP - but you know as well as I do that they are only telling me that so I'll buy a NEW system instead of upgrading this system. I don't have the funds to buy a new computer ever again anyway so this is the best I can do. If anyone could help me do this I will be forever grateful. Thank you so very much for your time.

0 Kudos
William_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for your question regarding your Dell PC. In most cases that I am aware of, your system would not do very well with Windows Vista, unless of course you were willing to upgrade the many areas that you suggest. While I can't speak for how Dell would answer your question, first question you should ask yourself is why you want Vista in the first place? My main feeling is that by the time you upgrade your system to run Vista, you would be better off with a newer machine anyway. If you want to access additional resources, please try this link: http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-1086.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

What are the processors and chipset that is based on Nahalem platform

0 Kudos
Christophe_P_Intel

'Nehalem' is a new family of processors featuring a new microarchitecture and will be based on intel's 45nm high-k process technology . 'Nehalem' will be used across all mainstream server, desktop and mobile product lines.

For desktop platforms the 'Bloomfield' processor will work with the 'Tylersburg' chipset

For general purpose dual and single socket servers and workstations, the 'Nehalem-EP' processors will work with the 'Tylersburg-EP' chipsets

For expandable four socket or greater servers there will be a 'Nehalem-EX' processor that will work with a new expandabe chipset (codename not released publicly)

Additional processors and chipsets featuring Nehalem will also be available for entry single socket servers

You can read more about this subject at my blog titled p-11096

Chris

0 Kudos