Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

BAD LAN PORT IN SS4200-E

idata
Employee

Guys,

I appreciate any help. I've had this storage device going on three years now and it's worked

get so far. Recently, a bad storm came thru my area and zapped my cable modem,

wireless router and the LAN port in my SS4200-E. The modem and router were an

easy fix, but I'm unsure what I can do about the replacing the LAN port in my SS4200-E.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Is there another way to access the data from the

(4) hard drives I have installed in this unit.

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

utengr380,

Without a network connection to the SS4200, you're in a pretty tough place.

You could use a USB port to connect a drive and copy data from your data folders to a connected USB device. This will take some Linux savy. You'll need to connect to the device via the serial port using a terminal program (like HyperTerminal).

See the ss4200.pbworks.com site for a good tutorial on SS4200 Console Access via RS232.

The SS4200 data folders on the SS4200 are located at /mnt/soho_storage/samba/shares. There you'll be able to transverse through all public or user folders. Remember you're logged in here as the superuser root and that's why you have access to user folders.

from there you can navigate to the folder you want to copy from and use the Linux copy (cp) command to copy files to the attached USB device. From the /mnt/soho_storage/samba/shares location you'll see the folder name that represents the mounted USB device. It'll be obvious. The one I've got connected on mine is named USB_Generic_Flash_Disk_part1.

If the above doesn't work, you could try on another Linux device. The RAID array should be able to be managed by mdadm. The partition table of the data is in an ext3 journaled file system on an lvm2 logical volume on an md raid array . For more details, see http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/ss4200-e/sb/CS-029881.htm http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/ss4200-e/sb/CS-029881.htm.

Might I recommend to get a LAN cable surge protection device next time? We strongly recommend surge protection and UPS devices.

Good Luck,

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

One thing I didn't elude to if you chose to log into the system via the serial console. As noted, you're logged in there as the superuser root. With this access you can do anything and everything, including really messing up the system if you move or delete system files.

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

utengr380,

One last option would be to get a replacement SS4200 and move your disk drives to it. That would be the easiest solution. Amazon has the SS4200-EHW available for purchase here:

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-SS4200EHW-Entry-Storage-System/dp/B00113W6NO http://www.amazon.com/Intel-SS4200EHW-Entry-Storage-System/dp/B00113W6NO

The EHW version is just the SS4200-E without the operating system DOM installed. You could move the DOM from your broken one to the EHW and swap in your hard drives and you'd be good to go.

I've attached a DOM installation image if you want to go that route.

Just remember to reverse your DOM removal steps.

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for all the options John. It seems purchasing another S-4200-EHW would

be the simpliest way to get everything back. I'll update you as soon as I've

recovered the data.

Thanks again,

Brad

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

John,

I've successfully connected the serial port using hyperterminal. I;m stuck at the

"storage login:" prompt. My "login" is "admin". My password has never changed

since my initial setup of this device, however it will not accept my password. I have

read that holding the reset button on the back of the device will reset the hostname

and admin password, but I tried this several times with no success. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

utengr380

0 Kudos
MWich
Beginner

Hi utengr380

I know this is an old post but you can add a network card or a bluetooth dongle to get your data off. Also try adding soho to the beginning of your admin username(ie: sohoadmin) that should get you going.

cdesigner

0 Kudos