Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

C602J Chipset

NewUser
Beginner

Hi I have a C602 motherboard and wish to upgrade my CPU to a E7-8890-v2. is it possible to cross flash my C602 motherboard with C602J bios and make it compatible withe the E7-8890-v2? @n_scott_pearson @AlHill @LeonWaksman 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, you don't need to mention names when you are responding to a person's post. They will be getting a notification anyway, so mentioning their name just causes them to get two notifications. Enough is enough.

Don't worry about the processor information just yet. You need to first determine what board you have and who manufactured it. Typically, the manufacturer will provide a list of the processors - including stepping and package information - that are supported by their board with specific versions of the BIOS.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

C602 and C602J are Intel Chipset names, not Motherboard identifiers. The Chipset is only one factor in the determination of processor compatibility. You must also look at Socket Type, Package Type, Maximum TDP, BIOS, BIOS Version, Processor core and Processor stepping. Without knowing the manufacturer and identity of the motherboard in question, it would be impossible to make any kind of determination of processor applicability.

...S

0 Kudos
NewUser
Beginner

Noted, can you please clarify what Processor stepping and Package Type are? @n_scott_pearson 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, you don't need to mention names when you are responding to a person's post. They will be getting a notification anyway, so mentioning their name just causes them to get two notifications. Enough is enough.

Don't worry about the processor information just yet. You need to first determine what board you have and who manufactured it. Typically, the manufacturer will provide a list of the processors - including stepping and package information - that are supported by their board with specific versions of the BIOS.

...S

0 Kudos