Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4790 Discussions

Can i put less than max CPU Configuration ?

Anthoine_Cpn
Beginner

En :
Hello everyone,

After discovering the existing of NAS and Home-server, i wanted to build one.
I looked after a intel cpu (cause i already have motherboard with lga2011 socket) with enough core and thread to manage my server and be used as a normal computer.

I spend a couple of hour to find the perfect cpu and i saw the Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2667 v2.
It was perfect until i see the Package SpecificationsMax CPU Configuration = 2.

link: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/75273/intel-xeon-processor-e5-2667-v2-25m-cache-3-30-ghz.html

My question is : Can i use this cpu single or i must buy a new moterboard with 2 lga2011 socket ?

more information :
- mother-board :
lga2011 - 1 CPU slot | ram slot - 4xddr3 |3xPcie 3.0x16

thanks you to read this and your future answers

Fr :

Bonjour à tous,

Après avoir découvert l'existant des NAS et des server domestique, j'ai eu envie d'en construire un.
J'ai cherché après d'un processeur Intel (car j'ai déjà une carte mère avec un socket lga2011) avec suffisamment de cœurs et de threads pour gérer la partie serveur et être utilisé comme un ordinateur normal.

J'ai passé quelques heures à chercher après le processeur parfait et j'ai vu le processeur Intel® Xeon® E5-2667 v2.
C'était parfait jusqu'à ce que je voie les Spécifications du package : Configuration processeur(s) maxi = 2

lien : https://ark.intel.com/content/www/fr/fr/ark/products/75273/intel-xeon-processor-e5-2667-v2-25m-cache-3-30-ghz.html

Ma question est : puis-je utiliser ce processeur seul ou dois-je acheter une nouvelle carte mère avec 2 sockets lga2011 ?

Plus d'information :
- carte mère :
lga2011 - 1 CPU slot | slot ram - 4xddr3 |3xPcie 3.0x16

Merci pour vos futures réponses

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
KrissyG
New Contributor II

My question is : Can i use this cpu single or i must buy a new moterboard with 2 lga2011 socket ?

more information :
- mother-board :
lga2011 - 1 CPU slot | ram slot - 4xddr3 |3xPcie 3.0x16

Yes, you can use just one CPU, the specs say 'Max CPU Configuration' , which means, either one or two.
Same goes for motherboard with two CPU sockets, you can use just one CPU if you choose to.

However! You definitely need to check the compatibility of your motherboard with the E5-2667 v2.
Not all LGA2011 motherboards will run with that CPU.

I had a 2011 motherboard, and that CPU you mentioned is not on the list of supported CPUs, so i for example could not use it.

This is the CPU list for my old motherboard: 

KrissyG_1-1710372208940.png

and on a different motherboard your CPU is indeed supported:

KrissyG_3-1710372992686.png

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
This is an indication that you can use the processor in a dual-processor configuration, but this does not mean that it cannot be used in a uni-processor configuration. If the processor is on the list of supported processors for your motherboard and it's BIOS, then you should be good to go.
Hope this helps,
...S
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Anthoine_Cpn,

Thank you for posting in Intel community Forum.

Base on your inquiry, we have specific forum for these issues or inquiries. I will be transferring this thread for faster response.

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi Anthoine_Cpn,

Good day!!

Thank you for posting on Intel Community.

Please note this product is discontinued. Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help.

You may also find the Discontinued Products website ( https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html ) helpful to address your request.

Thank you for understanding.

Regards,

Manoranjan.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi Anthoine_Cpn,

I hope this message finds you well.

I wanted to inform you that for inquiries regarding supporting motherboard for Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2667 (15M Cache, 2.90 GHz, 8.00 GT/s Intel® QPI). we recommend reaching out directly to our authorized distributor, They will be able to provide you with detailed information about the product, including specifications, availability, part marking engraved…etc.

you can easily find Intel authorized distributors by visiting the official Intel website as below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/partner/showcase/partner-directory/distributor.html

If you require any further assistance or if there's anything else we can help you with, please feel free to reach out to us.

Thank you for your interest in our products, and we appreciate your cooperation in contacting our distributor for further assistance.

Thanks,

Manoranjan.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Anthoine Copine,

Greeting for the Day!

We are currently awaiting your response regarding the case. If you have any queries or require further assistance, please feel free to respond on the community post. We are more than happy to assist you.

Thank you for choosing Intel products and services.

Regards,

Manoranjan Das.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Anthoine_Cpn,

Greetings for the day!

We are currently awaiting your response regarding the case. If you have any queries or require further assistance, please feel free to respond to the community post. We are more than happy to assist you.

Thank you for choosing Intel products and services.

Regards,

Manoranjan.

0 Kudos
Pintu
Employee

Hello Anthoine_Cpn,

Greetings for the day! 

We would like to inform you that we are closing this request as no response has been received from our previous follow-ups.

Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions in the future. Feel free to start a new conversation, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thanks,

Manoranjan.

0 Kudos