Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage; and Intel® Xeon® Processors
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4302 Discussions

Creating VFs on Intel 82576 running on VMWare ESXi 4.0

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

I installed vmware esxi 4.0 on HP proliant ML115 G5 system that has AMD DUal core 4450B processor. Inserted a Intel 82576 dual port gigabit NIC card and installed vmware version of the latest igb driver - ver. 1.3.19 (I think this is the latest version) on the hypervisor. I could see on the vSphere client interface that the got is detected. I have two questions here:

1. How can I create virtual functions (VFs) on the intel card so that I can assign a VF to a guest OS. I tried looking at the source code of the above driver, but looks like the max_vfs module parameter is removed altogether. Does this mean creating VFs is not supported on vmware or is there a different way to configure the VFs?

2. I want to configure the VFs in pass-through mode and assign to guest OSes. I know this needs VT-d support and I also know that my hardware doesn't have that support. I think assigning VFs to a guest OS needs VT-d support in the hardware, but creation of the VFs, I thought, should be possible in the first place independent of the hardware. Does creation of VFs (point 1) depends on the VT-d support? If this gets confirmed, I can buy VT-d supported hardware and assign them to guest OSes.

Thanks in advance,

PurnaChandar M
0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Community Manager

The latest igb driver version for vmware ESX/ESXi 4.0 is 1.3.19. This doesn't have sr-iov support enabled. Can anybody out there tell me is there any latest igb driver for vmware ESX 4.0 with SR-IOV enabled. Would appreciate any bit of help on this.

Regards,

PurnaChandar M

KAMALANATH_N_Intel

hi Purnachandar,

To my understanding, SR-IOV feature is enabled in Intel 82576 Card(1 Gig).

But there is no support for SR-IOV in ESX environment.

Currently they are working to enable SR-IOV. May be incorporate in future release.

i will let you know once its released.

Thanks,

kamal.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Kamalanathan,

thanks a lot for confirming this.

Regards,

PurnaChandar M