Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Does Intel have any documentation about mixing, matching or adding CPUs on dual CPU mainboards?

Xstep2
Beginner

I bought a SuperMicro X10DAX in 2017 with one Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 and have been using it with one CPU since then. I would like to add a 2nd CPU but can't find any information in the SuperMicro X10DAX manual or on their website about dual CPU compatibility on their boards. I would like to add a E5-2699 v4 to this mainboard. Does Intel have any documentation about mixing, matching or adding CPUs on dual CPU mainboards? SuperMicro tech support says only the model numbers of the CPUs need to match or the system would be "unstable" whatever that means. People have told me that matching version numbers are necessary, not necessarily model numbers. I am having trouble finding information about dual CPU compatibility on the intel website too and have spent a lot of time on the internet looking for this answer to find next to nothing. Can anyone point me to a for sure answer about dual CPU compatibility.  

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AlHill
Super User

Support for dual processors will be dictated by the motherboard manufacturer and their bios.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos