Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DChap5
Beginner

Expand array on a SRCSAS18E

Jump to solution

Good day.

We have an array on an Intel SRCSAS18E controller with 4 drives in RAID 5 to which we would like to add 2 drives. I have read that this is done using several candles, a pentagram and invocation of storcli or MegaCli. We are running Vmware 5.5 with 3 MS Windows VMs.

My question is - can this RAID expansion be done on the fly ie while Vmware and its VMs are running?

How reliable is this operation? Should I anticipate trouble?

Thank you for your time,

--

David Chapman

mailto:dchapman@victoriataxi.com dchapman@victoriataxi.com

0 Kudos
1 Solution
12 Replies
Miguel_C_Old
Employee

Hi dchapman00,

I am transferring your case with the Server community, they will provide you with the proper assistance.

Regards,

Mike C
DChap5
Beginner

Thanks for the link to this document.

However, I could not determine if I can perform the expansion 'live' ie with ESXI and the VMs running.

Thanks again,

Dave

AP16
Valued Contributor III

Yes, all Intel RAID operations are live, hidden from OS level. But RAID5 expansion will put a lot of load to disks (including already members), so it is common sense to remove high-load VMs from server for time of maintenance.

DChap5
Beginner

Thank you again for your reply.

These are 600GB 15k SAS drives. We are adding 2 of them to the existing 4 drive array. There are 2 Windows 2008 Server Standard VMs, one of them running SQL Server 2012, and a Windows 2003 Server VM (Domain Controller). Any idea how long this operation could take? Would it possibly be minutes? Hours? Days?

Dave

AP16
Valued Contributor III

Considering linear writes speed about 200 MB/S for one SAS HDD (in RAID-5 rebuilds are limited to speed of 1 HDD), with no external load it should take about 5 hours.

DChap5
Beginner

Thank you again for your time.

It seems that the more I read the more confused I get. Do I expand the array and then expand the virtual drive? Or do I do one or the other?

When I execute storcli, is the 'size' the final capacity of the virtual drive, or is it the capacity I am adding? And am I adding 600GB or 557GB? Can I enter fractional space? 557.861GB?

There is only one controller, the enclosure ID is 248.

Thank you,

Dave

AP16
Valued Contributor III

The task consists of including drive into disk group and expanding a virtual drive. Web console do both in one task.

Size in storcli in context of Virtual drive operations is a end size of VD.

DChap5
Beginner

I would love to use the Web console. I followed instruction in:

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/vmware_esxi_50_installation_and_rwc2_tips_a... http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/vmware_esxi_50_installation_and_rwc2_tips_a...

installing the LSI provider and installed RWC2 on one of the machines on the LAN. However RWC2 does not see the host.

If I could get this running I would be a happy little boy.

Thanks,

Dave

AP16
Valued Contributor III

Article https://tinkertry.com/esxi-5-1-can-run-lsi-megaraid-in-a-vm ESXi 5.1 host with LSI 92xx RAID adapter can run a VM with fully functional MegaRAID Storage Manager UI, here's how | Ti… may give you a keys to solve that trouble, while LSI updates its suite, Intel version may lag behind, so check the links to russian blog (this one i think: http://alex-at.ru/it/lsi-vmware-esxi-1 Как подружить LSI и VMWare ESXi, часть вторая - окончательное решение )

DChap5
Beginner

I eventually got RWC2 to see the host, controller and array. The secret is in the hosts file. Thank you for the pointer.

I took delivery of the drives and installed them this evening. I connected with RWC2 and in the Logical tab clicked on Drive Group: 1, RAID 5 and GoTo -> Drive Group -> Modify Drive Group. I selected RAID5 then Next. The 2 drives I wanted to add were displayed; I selected both drives then Next. Checked over the summary then Finish.

Something is happening. Drive lights are flashing rapidly in unison. The machine has slowed dramatically. The vSphere Client shows a huge jump in disk usage.

I am concerned however. So far there is nothing in the log, and Manage -> Show Progress does not show any progress. It has been about 70 minutes since the operation started.

Does this seem normal for this operation?

Thanks,

--

David Chapman

DChap5
Beginner

So it took about 14 hours. The machine was not usable during the expansion.

~ # storcli /c0 /d1 show

Controller = 0

Status = Success

Description = Show Diskgroup Succeeded

TOPOLOGY :

========

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

DG Arr Row EID:Slot DID Type State BT Size PDC PI SED DS3 FSpace

1 - - - - RAID5 Optl N 2.723 TB enbl N N dflt N

1 0 - - - RAID5 Optl N 2.723 TB enbl N N dflt N

1 0 0 248:4 15 DRIVE Onln N 557.861 GB enbl N N dflt -

1 0 1 248:3 16 DRIVE Onln N 557.861 GB enbl N N dflt -

1 0 2 248:2 17 DRIVE Onln N 557.861 GB enbl N N dflt -

1 0 3 248:5 18 DRIVE Onln N 557.861 GB enbl N N dflt -

1 0 4 248:7 28 DRIVE Onln N 557.861 GB enbl N N dflt -

1 0 5 248:6 29 DRIVE Onln N 557.861 GB enbl N N dflt -

Does this look normal?

I got an error message when expanding the vmware esxi 5.5 datastore. I haven't made any progress since.....

Thanks,

--

David Chapman