Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Failed status HDD in Raid 10

fasmo
Beginner

down votehttps://serverfault.com/questions/892207/failed-status-hdd-in-raid-10 favorite

Motherboard: Intel S3000AH

Processor: Intel Xeon 3050

Bios Version: S3000.86B.02.0041.012020071551

HDD: Hitachi hds721680pla380 80GB 4x as RAID 10

Sorry my English.

I'm newice sysadmin. The server with the above parameters turned off. When I try to turn on the server, Intel Emb. Server Raid Tech. responding all HDD on their ports, but write that Port 0, 1, 2 is in Failed State, Arrays inn Offline mode.

Previous sysadmins did not make backup copies. Scanning by Victoria 4.45 showed that there are no bad sectors on any of the disks.

The most necessary thing on this server is one old program, the installer of which does not already exist.

I can not imagine what to do next.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Feofan,

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

That the server RAID failed after rebooting and it is showing ports 0,1,2 in failed State, and Array in Offline mode.

In an effort to better assist you, can you please send a screenshot of the error from the RAID controller BIOS? You can access the RAID BIOS by taping on control + E keys.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Best regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel(R) Technical Support

0 Kudos
fasmo
Beginner

Thank you for the answer!

If I right understant it is that window.

0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

In all the years ive doing RAID (unless Intel has specific instructions), i would bet this is a back plane / power cable issue (if its SAS then maybe a SAS cable problem).

The issue is, even if you do get the back plane / power / cable fixed normally the RAID controller listed all the drives as bad, therefore breaking the RAID array permanently, i have however (in the past 15 years) managed to get 2 RAID arrays back, by forcing the drives back online (only to restore, the second boot the server never worked again).

It depends on the RAID module, LSI its possible to "force" the drives online, but itsnt something to do with direct instruction.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Feofan,

I hope you are doing well today.

At this point the best way to proceed is by deleting the the volume and creating a new volume. Keep in mind that there are 3 drives out 4 already failed, this can affect the RAID structure.

Please let me know your results.

Best regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi Jeremiah, the original poster is asking how to get there data back, deleting the RAID config will just erase everything, this is the absolute opposite of what he needs to do.

It would be NEAR IMPOSSIBLE to safely get this data back, i however do have a recovery center near me (who i trust) that would likely get your data back IF the disks have not been touched by any other hard drive RAID controller.

If you need my help (i am located in Canada) then you are welcome to contact me through this portal and we can talk directly.

You only get one chance with this, and your "may" get all the files back but not a working system (only a file copy of what isnt damaged).

Once you do this THEN you can erase the array which will erase the tables to the files.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Feofan,

I understand the position and concern of your client. I will investigate if is possible to rebuild the ARRAY without affecting the data.

I thank you for your patience in advance, and I will get back with you as soon as possible with information.

regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Feofan,

We will try to contact you directly in order to provide further assistance.

regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Feofan,

I following up with you regarding this case, and if you still have issue with the RAID configuration I want to ask you for your contact information and a convenient time for you so I can call you and assist you with this issue.

regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Feofan,

I have not heard back from you regarding this case. I will proceed in closing it; if you still need help please reopen open new case and refer to this one for more assistance.

regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos