Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage; and Intel® Xeon® Processors
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4302 Discussions

How to use the top 4 drive bays in a FUP8X35HSBP back plane to a S1200V3RPL motherboard .. want 2-500Gb (MBR) and 4-4Tb (GPT) dirves

TSaty
Beginner

How to use the top 4 drive bays in a FUP8X35HSBP back plane to a S1200V3RPL motherboard .. want 2-500Gb (MBR) and 4-4Tb (GPT) dirves. Bottom bay has 2-500Gb drives (MBR) (0,1) to be used for OS + 2-4Tb (2,3) in bottom and want 2-Tb (4,5) in upper bay with 500Gb drives in RAID1 and 4-4Tb drives in RAID 10. I used a SAS to 4 SATA Cable to connect the top SAS connector to SATA ports 4 and 5 but the drives are not recognized. The unit is an Intel Server System P4308RPLSHDR. Is there some option I need to purchase from Intel to get the motherboard to recognize the drives in the top bay of the Hot Swap Back Plane? I have 32 Gb of memory and a Xeon E3-1246 v3 Haswell 3.5GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1150 84W Server Processor and have successfully installed Windows Server 2012 R2 64-bit Essentials with the 4-4Tb drives in two RAID1 configurations so I know the system is working. I just need to get to those top drives. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Community Manager

Hello,

If you are using SAS drives, please keep in mind that the on-board connectors will support SATA drives only. Can you please let us know the part number for the drives you are using?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello,

If you are using SAS drives, please keep in mind that the on-board connectors will support SATA drives only. Can you please let us know the part number for the drives you are using?

View solution in original post

TSaty
Beginner

The drives are all Western Digital Enterprise SATA drives: two 500 Gb WD5003ABYZ to be in RAID 1 for the OS and four 4 Tb WD4000FYYZ. All drives were verified functioning using the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows software before installation in the server chasis. Originally I only had the four 4 Tb drives in RAID 10 intending to install Windows Server 2012 R2 64 bit Enterprise on it then create shared folders for the data. Even though I "Enable EFI" in teh BIOS, I was unable to boot windows after the initial install step. So I disabled EFI and successfully installed Windows Server but the RAID 10 volume only was able to have MBR partitions so I lost almost 6 Gb of storage. Next step is to try to get the configuration described above so I could have the OS on a 500 Gb RAID 1 MBR volume, then, in Windows, setup the four 4 Tb RAID 10 drives as GPT and thus get the full 8 Tb. However, I can only get one bay at a time to work, thus seeing only 4 HDDs (the 2 500 and 2 4 Tb in one of the bays). Note: the working HDDs are connected using the miniSAS to 4 SATA with SGPIO lines that came with the Intel Server System P4308RPLSHDR . For the other bay I purchased a Tripp-Lite S508-003 miniSAS to 4 SATA cable, no SGPIO lead. I cannot get the MB to recognize the 2 HDDs connected with the purchased Tripp-Lite cable (not the right cable?). I have successfully installed Windows Server on the two 500 Gb drives in RAID 1 and the two (since I cannot see 4 drives) 4 Tb RAID 1 drives as a GPT partition when in the same bay connected with the cable that came with the system, thereby getting the full 4 Tb. I just need to get the motherboard to recognize the other two drives in the other bay. A little verbose, I know, but I hope this helps. Thanks.

idata
Community Manager

Hello,

According to our database, you are handling this issue through our email support team. If that is the case, I will proceed to close this thread and if not please let us know to remain it opened.

TSaty
Beginner

Dan. Thank you for your reply. Yes, I received and eMail and did a Chat today with Intel Support. It appears my problem is the cable I am using for the second bay (Tripp-Lite S508-003) .. I need an Intel cable http://ark.intel.com/products/76576/Mini-SAS-cable-AXXE38DRVCBL AXXE34DRVCBL which you did not have in stock so I ordered it from NewEgg per my Chat. It appears that not all cables are the same. Yes .. you can close this thread. I will use the Support Request for the resolution. I will report the results when I get the Intel cable in a few days. Thanks for your help.

idata
Community Manager

Hello,

We appreciate the feedback provided on this matter. We will proceed to close your thread.