Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4785 Discussions

I2C cable purpose

RSump1
New Contributor III

Hello everyone,

What is the purpose of the I2C cable from the hot-swap drive bays (AUP8X25S3NVDK) to the motherboard (S2600STBR).

Thank you

Ray

0 Kudos
1 Solution
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello RSump1,

Greetings for the day!

This is regarding the case you have with us with the following details.

Case No: 05988676

Product: Inter-integrated circuit

Issue: If the I2C cable is not connected, will the RWC3 not provide valid hard drive temperatures? The drive temperatures never deviate from 29°C.

We would like to inform you that we are closing this request as no response has been received from our previous follow-ups. Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions in the future. Feel free to start a new conversation, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Vijay N

Intel Customer Support.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Raymond,

Greetings for the day!

Issue: What is the purpose of the I2C cable from the hot-swap drive bays (AUP8X25S3NVDK) to the motherboard (S2600STBR).

The purpose of the I2C cable connecting the hot-swap drive bays (AUP8X25S3NVDK) to the motherboard (S2600STBR) via the "HSBP_I2C" header is to facilitate communication and management between the motherboard and the hot-swap backplanes.

Please find the below attached link (open the link and there you will find the Technical Product Specification (PDF) after opening the pdf go to page no 95)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024504/server-products/server-boards.html

Please don’t hesitate to contact us for any further assistance.

Thank you for using Intel products and services.

Best regards,

Vijay N

Intel Customer Support.

0 Kudos
RSump1
New Contributor III

As a follow-up, I have an Intel RAID Adapter RSP3MD088F deployed in this server with four SAS drives configured in RAID 10. I deployed the Intel RAID Web Console 3 (RWC3). If the I2C cable is not connected, will the RWC3 not provide valid hard drive temperatures? The drive temperatures never deviate from 29°C.

Thank you

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello RSump1,

Greetings for the day!

Issue:  If the I2C cable is not connected, will the RWC3 not provide valid hard drive temperatures? The drive temperatures never deviate from 29°C.

Thank you for contacting us. At the moment, we are actively working towards finding an appropriate resolution for your issue, and we will provide you with an update as soon as we can. We kindly request your cooperation during this time.

Best regards,

Vijay N

Intel Customer Support.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello RSump1,

Greetings for the day!

Issue: If the I2C cable is not connected, will the RWC3 not provide valid hard drive temperatures? The drive temperatures never deviate from 29°C.

The I2C HSBP cable serves primarily for management purposes. If you keep it disconnected, you won't receive its signal, and you won't be able to monitor it in the BMC management console. Consequently, RWC3 won't receive IPMI traps either.

By leaving the I2C cable disconnected, you will lose the capability to monitor the backplane health status in the BMC management console. This may also result in the backplane status not being displayed in RAID management software like the Intel Raid Web Console 3.

·       Could you please provide details about the software used to monitor hard drive temperatures?

Best regards,

Vijay N

Intel Customer Support.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello RSump1,

Greetings for the day!

Issue: If the I2C cable is not connected, will the RWC3 not provide valid hard drive temperatures? The drive temperatures never deviate from 29°C.

I am just sending a follow up if you have any questions from the previous post. If so, please let us know.

Best regards,

Vijay N

Intel Customer Support.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello RSump1,

Greetings for the day!

We would like to inform you that we are closing this request as no response has been received from our previous follow-ups. Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions in the future. Feel free to start a new conversation, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Vijay N

Intel Customer Support.

0 Kudos