Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Indication drives in the Raid on P4308CP4MHEN

VArkh
Novice

Hello. There is a problem of strange disc indication in raid on the platform P4308CP4MHEN (https://ark.intel.com/products/56412/Intel-Server-System-P4308CP4MHEN). The m5015 raid controller is installed.

Configured 2 sas disks in raid 0 and 4 sas disks in raid 10.

In raid 0, the display on both disks is constant.

Periodically on the disks from raid 10 I observe a red indication as on the video.

https://youtu.be/1qIo0qOuxFQ

At the same time the status shows Optimal.

62d05164d0.jpg

577519530d.jpg

Такая же проблема с индикацией была ранее когда был установлен раид-контроллер RS2BL040.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JoseH_Intel
Hello VArkh, Thank you for joining the community. Unfortunately since the RAID controller installed is from a 3rd party manufacturer the support we can provide is kind of limited. Since you say you were able to see the same behavior with an Intel RS2BL040 RAID controller then I might suspect about what it is in the middle (HDD backplane, RAID extender board) even cabling issues. Regards. Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
VArkh
Novice

Hello, Jose. Thank you for the reply.

I spent replacing the raid controller precisely because of this. Then I changed the cable from the raid-controller to backplane. However, nothing changed in the disc display. Consequently, it’s not a third-party raid controller, but the rest of Intel’s hardware. What else can i check in this case?

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello VArkh, At this point we need to know if there is something in between the RAID controller and the HDD backplane. Intel has RAID extender boards in order to increase the amount of HDDs a RAID controller can handle. Could you doublecheck if there is any extender boards present? Besides that if would be recommended to test this backplane in another server if possible since the HDDs status LEDs are located in the backplane. Regards. Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
VArkh
Novice

Hello, Jose

​There is nothing between the raid controller and the backplane, both cables go directly.

We have only one server, the backplane has nowhere to check.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello VArkh, I am just following up to double check if you were able to gather the requested information. Otherwise let us know if you require more time to accomplish this. Regards Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello VArkh, In that case I think the issue might be in the backplane itself. The HDD status LEDs are located in the backplane actually. If you go back and reinstall the Intel RAID controller you could install the RAID Web Console 2 software ( https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27474/Intel-RAID-Web-Console-2-for-Windows- ) and extract the TTY log when you see the issue happening. You can attach it here and we will take a look at it. Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello VArkh, I am just following up to double check if you were able to gather the requested information. Otherwise let us know if you require more time to accomplish this. Regards Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
VArkh
Novice

Hello. I can't do it right now. Server is in use now. I will look for where I can move the virtual machines.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello VArkh, I understand. Is there any expected maintenance window in which you plan do some testing? I will follow up with you next week. Regards Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello VArkh, I am just following up to double check if you have been able to do any testing or progress about this issue. Regards Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello VArkh, Do you have any further details, updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue? This thread will be marked as resolved automatically in the next 48 hours if no activity is received. Regards Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello VArkh, We will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and create a new topic. Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos