Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4910 Discussions

Need BIOS Upgrade for Legacy Server Board S5520SC

whandley
Beginner

Hello, 

I purchased this board in 2011 along with two Xeon 5680x CPUs, only to find that one needed the S5520SCR board to support 5600 series Xeon processors at that time.  The S5520SCR was identical to the  S5520SC except that its BIOS had been upgraded to allow it to support 5600 Xeons.

I could not  upgrade the BIOS on my S5520SC board unless I bought a 5500 series processor just for that job, which was quite expensive in 2011.

I decided on the cheaper option of buying an S5520SCR board, and stored the S5520SC away.   

Now twelve years later my  S5520SCR board on its last legs.   Today one can buy a used 5500 Xeon processor for $10, so I thought I would upgrade the BIOS on my old but never unboxed S5520SC board and swap it out.

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to download a BIOS update for this board from Intel.  It stopped supporting the S5520SC in 2015.

I know this is unlikely, but I am hoping someone knows how I could obtain a safe BIOS upgrade package for this board.  Or maybe there might be a tool that could extract the firmware in my ailing S5520SCR and apply it to the S5520SC BIOS.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.

Regarding your question to transfer the BIOS firmware from S5520SCR and apply it to the S5520SC BIOS - since it’s a different board, this action would not be possible.

In order to have more information about your system, please download, install and run Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. Make sure you check “Everything” before you scan, then save the report and attach it to your response.

Could you also share the details on the processor that you are going to be using with

S5520SC.

Since the product have been EOL - we will need your system details to provide you with the best solution.

Best regards,

Nurhayati Ibrahim

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello whandley,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

Please find the case number 06017394 for your reference.

Intel® Workstation Board S5520SC and the associated spare parts and accessories have been discontinued. This letter is also to inform you that support for the said products have been switched to self-service support.

The available self-service support options include:

·       Technical support content available online.

·       Warranty service through the Warranty Center.

·       Support and services for members of the Intel Channel Program through the Intel® Reseller Center.

·       Help from other users in the Intel Support Community 

Intel Customer Service Agents no longer respond to telephone, chat, community support forum, or email inquiries for self-service products.

Following is the product discontinuance information and when the self-service support begins with Intel® Workstation Board S5520SC

Product

Intel® Workstation Board S5520SC

Product Discontinuance Notice

https://qdms.intel.com/Portal/SearchPCNDataBase.aspx?mm=904912  

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000018497/server-products.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/36600/intel-workstation-board-s5520sc/specifications.html

Self-Service Support Begins

December 2015

For more details, please refer to the support page: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support.html

We are going to closing this case at present. We appreciate the time you have dedicated and your cooperation throughout the entire process. If you have any other concerns or require assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. We will be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you for using Intel's products and services.

Best regards,

Vijay N

0 Kudos