Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

OS on an SSR212MC2R storage

idata
Employee

Hello, which OS do you suggest to put on an SSR212MC2R storage mounting 12 X 2 TB WD Caviar RE4-GP disks?

Thanks in Advance

Christian

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

For what it is worth, in a former life, I used to be the FAE assigned to intel back in the early days of the SSR212MC. We've got a $90 management software that lets you monitor/config the box so you can support operating systems such as Solaris, upgrade the enclosure firmware (in band); and support LINUX variations and other variants that are not supported. We don't attempt to create a storage solution as a replacement for what is bundled, we have some code that lets you monitor/manage the hardware for whatever O/S you want to run via a command-line daemon or service, or use different RAID controllers and such.

If interested, http://www.santools.com/smart/unix/manual is the manual, but there are features and other products not documented as they are sold directly to OEMs who embed it as part of their overall solution.

(We're also an Intel Solution provider - but an ISV, not a hardware source)

idata
Employee

Hi, thanks for the link but I already read it. I'd like to know from you wich is the "best performance" OS for this appliance.

Thanks!

0 Kudos