Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Pro/1000 MT network card forces slow speed

idata
Employee

I have a Dell 400SC with a Pro/1000 MT network card running XP Pro on a home network. All computers run fine accept this one. I swapped cables with other machines. This one has slow Internet access. When I run diagnostics on the connections it states: "This adapter is configured to force the speed to a low speed." Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

In Windows device manager you can access your network adapter properties to configure the speed and duplex settings. Usually Auto Negotiation works for the speed & duplex setting.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much. I had it set to 100 Mbps/Full Duplex. I changed it to Auto Detect. While it didn't change the posted speed of 100Mbps/Full Duplex, the diagnostic message now states: "Link speed: 100Mbps. The link partner is not capable of higher speeds."

But when I now run the 3 different cable tests to the Internet connection, speed just screams, just like my other computers.

Thank you VERY MUCH!!

0 Kudos