Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Recommended Linux Distro W/Embedded Raid II Technology

SDoug3
Novice

I have an Intel S5520CH server motherboard with 12GB RAM, x5550 Xeon processor, three 2TB drives RAID5 w/embedded II RAID Technology. I've created a raid5 disk via the embedded raid manager when the system boots. When I attempted to install Ubuntu 10.x it detected the RAID partition, but was unable to install the OS as it reported it was in read-only mode.

The Intel Deployment CD comes only auto installs RedHat or SUSE distros with official Intel drivers. I am a small shop with limited resources as most small business' are today. The price tag for annual subscriptions is beyond my budget. I am attempting to install a server platform for KVM virtualization, but under the circumstances am stuck in limbo.

Any suggestions on a Linux distro and how to configure the embedded raid 5 is appreciated. I've used the Debian base for the most part, but am comfortable with pretty much any flavor of Linux or FreeBSD for that matter.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Intel only provides ESRT2 driver for http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5520hc/sb/CS-030222.htm Tested operating systems. If you need a free Linux solution you may try http://www.centos.org CentOS*. It's not officially supported by Intel, but since it's a clone of RHEL*, most likely the RHEL driver will work. I know some customers had install CentOS* successfully using RHEL driver. However if you encounter any issue with CentOS* you're on your own - Intel is not supporting it.

0 Kudos
SDoug3
Novice

Thank you for your information Edward.

Unfortunately, this leave me with very little to go on. I was considering cent, but hoped for more opportunities. I have supported Intel and have patronized the products professionally and personally. Under the circumstance I am forced to go with third-party manufacturers.