Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4776 Discussions

S2600CP2 - Can't load ACHI drivers in Server 2012R2 for Samsung 840SSD

idata
Employee

In a working Windows Server 2012R2 system on an S2600CP2 board, I have four non-RAID drives installed on the AHCI controller, and the SAS/SATA Capable Controller is disabled. On that controller:

• 2 Samsung 840 Pro SSDs on the 6GB/s ports 0 and 1.
  • a Samsung 840 Pro SSD on 3GB/s port 2.
  • a 2TB Western Digital WD2000FYYZ installed on 3GB/s port 3.
  • a DVD/CD drive is installed on port 5.

The "ACHI Capable SATA Controller" is set in the BIOS to be in [ACHI] mode.

Windows Server installation detected these drives and under the Driver Properties tab of Device Manager properties for the SSDs it lists:

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Driver Date: 6/21/2006

Driver Version: 6.3.9600.16384

Driver Signer: Microsoft.

I'd initially had VSS errors with Windows Server Backup on these SSDs and the 2TB WD drive (backing up and external USB drive). Microsoft support was able to correct this by setting paging files on each SSD and various other tweaks.

A technician on SAMSUNGs support site said there were no special drivers for them - but noted that in the Device Manager they were listed as SCSI drives & that was not good. I removed and redetected each device - and the 'SCSI' disappeared from the description, but the driver used was as noted above.

On Intel's download site for Windows Server 2012R2 and S2600CP2, I found

RSTe_and_AHCI_Drivers_GUI_CIM_CLI_3.8.0.1111_2013.09.26.zip v3.8.1111 dated 10/4/2013.

And it was stated: "Note: Package Version = 3.8.0.1111 adds support for Windows Server 2012 R2"

Splendid I thought - I will update the drivers.

I downloaded and unzipped the files, and in the Device Manager I selected a drive, right clicked, and picked "Update Driver Software"

No matter how I tried, the OS would not update the drivers for the 2TB or the SSDs. When I selected the driver myself from those unzipped to:

G:\DOWNLOADS - INTEL\Intel RSTe_and_AHCI\RSTe_and_AHCI_Drivers_GUI_CIM_CLI_3.8.0.1111_2013.09.26\Drivers\x64_win8_server12\AHCI

this error was presented:

The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure its designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems.

1. Should I even attempt to update the drivers?
  2. Why can't the drivers in this folder be installed on Windows Server 2012R2 when the documentation says they are supported for that OS?
  3. I don't have a lot of experience at this - what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Mike,

The RSTe (Rapid Storage Technology enterprise) driver isn't for the disk drives (hard disk or SSD), it's for the RSTe AHCI (SATA) and SCU (SAS) controller components of the Intel® C600 series chipset. That's why you're getting the "doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device" message.

If Windows* detected the drives and you can manipulate them within the Drive Manager applet, there's no need to load drivers for them. Most devices like that are controlled by the embedded operating system drivers anyway.

I do suggest loading the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3476&DwnldID=20928&ProductFamily=Server+Products&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Server+Boards&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Server+Board+S2600CP+Family&lang=eng Chipset Driver for Windows. The chipset driver outlines to the operating system how to configure the Intel(R) chipset components in order to ensure that the chipset features function properly. These "features" include the storage controllers.

Regards,

John

idata
Employee

Thank you for your very clear explanation.

I downloaded the Chipset Drive for Windows from the link in your message. I unzipped it into a working folder. The top of the README.txt:

* Product: Intel(R) Chipset Device Software

* Release: Production Version

* Version: 9.3.2.1017

* Target: Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5 v2/Core i7

* Date: September 17 2013

This seemed right, so I executed the SETUP.EXE, agreed to the license agreement, scrolled through the README text, and pressed [NEXT]. With seemingly no other activity, the window stated

"Setup Is Complete --

The setup program successfully installed the Intel(r) Chipset Device Software onto this computer. Click Finish to complete the setup process."

I clicked [Finish] and was not asked to reboot. I suppose the install just copies a few small files and I should not be worried - but not being asked to reboot was surprising.

How can I check that the INF files were copied from the distribution?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Mike,

The "Chipset Drivers" are actually INF updates and are not drivers in the true sense. They are updates to important files that tell Windows how to use Intel integrated hardware.

The Chipset.inf should only be run once. If you blow away your OS or have a yellow bang in device manager, you can re-run the inf or a newer version, but for most cases it is run after the OS is installed to ID the devices in your system and to get the correct drivers loaded. So install it once and relax, you are good to go, it is not a driver that needs to be updated.

for more information see:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/sb/CS-030865.htm?wapkw=chipset.inf http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/sb/CS-030865.htm?wapkw=chipset.inf

Hope this helps.

John

0 Kudos
JWond
Beginner

I think you need this driver: C600 chipset ESRT2 RAID driver for Windows

You can get it here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22120&lang=eng Download Center

0 Kudos