Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S2600STB with latest BIOS, 7 MAC Addresses and Lan Config?

Airbyte
Novice

So I have 7 MAC Addresses on this s2600stb (dual nic) as follows:

Ending of MAC Address:

1A - 1st NIC for OS use

1B - 2nd Nic for OS use

1C - Not really used cause for SFP connection for 1st NIC (I think) (have RJ45)

1D - Not really used cause for SFP connection for 2nd NIC (I think) (have RJ45)

1E - Secondary MAC Address for 1st NIC for BMC use

1F - Secondary MAC Adddress for 2nd NIC for BMC use

20 - MAC Address of Dedicated Mgmt NIC

I have no problems configuring and using Dedicated Mgmt NIC - that is all good.

Seems there are several places to configure the IP addresses of the regular (non mgmt) NICs and I don't understand the behavior or precedence of the methods. 

I can configure this in "Advanced/PCI Configuration/UEFI Option ROM Control" See pic below 

intel3.png

and if I click on "IPv4 Network Configuration" I can configure the IP Address, see pic below

intel7.png

But also seems I can configure it in the "Server Management/BMC Lan Configuration" see pic below. 

intel8.png

I have two physical NICs and different MAC Addresses for them and several places in the BIOS expose settings for both the first and the second - but here its just the "Baseboard Lan Configuration" - where is the other NIC here?

If you notice both pics above, as you can see they are both set for "201" but it seems that the "Server Management/BMC Lan Configuration/Baseboard LAN Configuration" takes precedence over the "Advanced/PCI Configuration/UEFI Option ROM Control" is this true?

And also I'm super confused by the lack of documentation about the above items on this picture just above - specifically "HI BMC Lan Configuration" and "HI Host Lan Configuration" I looked for hours and nothing and tried support too and nothing on that end either... 

Can anyone explain where I should be doing the configuration? Just go ahead and tell me too much, explain with more detail and repitition than you would like please, pretend I'm a child - anything along those lines - not like the answers provide by the intel folks unless you really know this and can answer in plain english with details DO NOT direct me to documentation I've worn it out and its insufficient.

Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Airbyte,

Thank you for posting your question on this Intel Community.

The hardware on the server contains UEFI capable option ROMs (or OpROMs) that helps you configure your system depending on your needs and environment. For example, you can configure the NIC controllers managed by the Intel® Ethernet Connection 722 controller from the UEFI Option ROM control screen in BIOS as you have pointed out.

On the other hand, the settings available in the Server Management > BMC LAN Configuration are used for enabling standard and/or advanced management features by configuring the BMC baseboard LAN channel and/or a dedicated management LAN channel (Intel® RMM4 Lite key). 

Standard management features are available by default. Advanced management features are enabled by installing an Intel® RMM4 Lite key. You can find additional details about these features in the following document:

Regarding your question about the "HI BMC LAN Configuration" and "HI Host LAN Configuration", please refer to your other thread: 

https://community.intel.com/t5/Server-Products/S2600STB-Latest-BIOS-Can-t-Find-Documentation-See-picture-please/m-p/1262619#M20500

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Airbyte,

Were you able to review the information provided?

If you need any further assistance, please let me know.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Airbyte,

We understand that you have not been able to make an update to this thread. 

Please let me know if you can post an update directly to it.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Airbyte,

As agreed, we will proceed to close this thread since we are currently working on another support ticket with these inquiries. 

Regards,

Wanner G.

0 Kudos