Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4843 Discussions

S3420GPV reboots to wrong disk

idata
Employee

Anyone out there run into this? I have the S3420GPV loaded with 6 sata disks using onboard connections, only setup using Linux software raid/lvm. But I also have a Highpoint SATA Rocketraid card installed with a single disk. I have the current bios v49 loaded, and in the bios boot order I have the correct first 3 disks I use as one of the RAID mirror to boot from. Any of these disks will boot without error.

On occasion, if I do a reboot, the server will decide to boot into a different disk than the first 3 specified in the boot order. And consequently, it fails to boot up and leaves at a busybox prompt. Its like the bios decides it needs to use a different disk order? Not a big deal for normal operation,but I can't reboot this thing remotely, which is really annoying! It is a problem if the power is out for a long enough time period, like overnight. Because it may not come up with the correct disk and fail to load. So I will get a call first thing in the morning from people in the office.

If during reboot this happens, I can cut the power and plug it back in. It will then boot up correclty. Just not during a reboot process.

I see this on two servers, of 4. All same basic config, except the two with the issue have an addon controller installed. The other two only have 3 disks , no extra controller, so they never get the oportunity to load alternate disks. Note also, that I've seen this issue with different brand and model addon controllers.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Ok, I may have answered my own question. I just went into boot drives and set all but the 3 I want to "disabled". rebooted just fine! I did a few reboots, no more issue, but time will tell. I'll repost if otherwise, but I think its fixed. (Duh!, why I didn't think of that before.... I don't know.)

0 Kudos