Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage; and Intel® Xeon® Processors
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4297 Discussions

S5500BC Memory query re 3 short beeps from BIOS

idata
Community Manager

I have a new S5500BC, I ordered 4 x 2G Kingston Intel certified Ram (listed as compatible). The Ram I received was not certified.

Anyway, the Ram was installed and as the BIOS was loading (just before the AHCI SATA message) it gives 3 quick short beeps.

I did some digging and the information I saw was that this indicates a memory problem.

I tried the 4 sticks individually and in combinations and always heard the 3 beeps on a boot.

I ran the latest Memtest 86+ for 6 hours with no errors.

After many hours playing around and installing various tests OS's, after the system was up for approx 10 hours, it stopped with a Memory parity error.

I returned that RAM and the suppliers sent me the certified Ram.

When I inserted this Ram the BIOS still gave those 3 short beeps.

I rang the 1 800 for Intel support in Australia and the support person told me that on the newer boards, these 3 beeps is now normal.

I have run Memtest 86+ with ECC on for 24 hours without any errors or problems.

Martin

I would just like it if some one here could confirm this for me or whether it does in fact indicate that there is a problem with the S5500BC board.

2 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

The short beeps are not error beeo codes. 3 long beeps indicates memory error, and normally you get no display or error message on screen.

idata
Community Manager

Thankyou, that makes me feel better.

I can now go out and get another E5520 CPU and maybe another 8GB of RAM just because the slots are there