Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S5520UR BMC lost

TPint2
Beginner

Hi Experts,

I have an S5520UR motherboard in a SR2612UR server.

It worked for years but before a new OS install I decided to update it to the latest (already 3 years old) firmware.

I installed the BIOS60/BMC58/FUR26/ME112 via the the EFI shell.

During the update I already noticed that the FRU and ME updates are failed saying "BMC are already in firmware transfer mode".

After reboot I noticed that I BMC LAN menu is greyed out in BIOS.

I removed the power cord redo the update with same result, Boot block are showing version 0.00

I tried the force update jumper according to: https://communities.intel.com/message/86309# 86309 https://communities.intel.com/message/86309# 86309

reset to default bios settings, force update on and back again but it does not fixed the BMC.

Luckily the machine boots, works ok, but I`m afraid without a working BMC it will not run well and maybe damaged.

Do you have any advice what should I try to resurrect the BMC ?

What is you opinion about running the server without working BMC ?

I wish you have a better luck.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
5 Replies
TPint2
Beginner

Thank for your answer, I already done the force update procedure two times.

I even did a BIOS reset to default after the first try, but it did not helped.

0 Kudos
EZhao1
New Contributor I

Were you able to update the BMC in force update mode?

0 Kudos
TPint2
Beginner

The messages from the BMC update looks the same in both jumper position.

I will make a photo of the update in both jumper position and post it here.

I had an idea maybe the the fw update is not correctly transfered to the pendrive, so this time I will compare the files on it.

0 Kudos
TPint2
Beginner

I did not correctly transfer the update files to the pendrive. I made a new one which I double checked with file compare.

And it worked first time even without force update.

Maybe I did not disconnected the usb drive properly after copying the updates first time.

I really lucky I did not crash the mainboard with a corrupt update.

The lesson is: always check the copied files with file compare before applying an update.

Thank ghoti for the suggestions.

0 Kudos