Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4926 Discussions

Xeon E7-8880v4 motherboard compatibility

anthward1972
Beginner

Hi, I am just wondering if the E7-8880 v4 CPU is compatible with a Supermicro X10DRU-i+ motherboard. I'm struggling to find any info on this. Maybe that's  an indication of incompatibility.

Any info would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
NormanS_Intel

Hello anthward1972,

Thank you for posting in the community!

To ensure you receive the most specialized assistance, we have a dedicated forum that addresses these specific concerns. Therefore, I will be moving this discussion to our Server Products Forum. This will allow our knowledgeable community and experts to provide you with timely and accurate solutions.

Best regards,

Norman S.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos
Fikri_Intel
Employee

Hi anthward1972,

Thank you for reaching Intel Community.

Kindly be informed that the Intel® Xeon® Processor E7-8890 v4 has been discontinued and Intel no longer supports it.

Link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/93790/intel-xeon-processor-e78890-v4-60m-cache-2-20-ghz/specifications.html

Since you have mentioned that the board is from SuperMicro, we kindly advise you to contact the SuperMicro support team for assistance. They will be best equipped to provide support and address any concerns related to their product.

Below is the compatibility board from SuperMicro Web:

Link: https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboards/matrix

Hope this clarifies your concerns.

Regards

Fikri O.

0 Kudos
Fikri_Intel
Employee

Hi anthward1972,

Hope you are doing well.

Since the product you are referring to has reached the End of Interactive Support where Intel no longer provides direct assistance or troubleshooting through interactive channels such as live chat, phone support, or interactive forums.

We will proceed to close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards

Fikri O.

0 Kudos
smithjohns
Novice

Determining motherboard compatibility for the Intel Xeon E7-8880v4 processor involves considering several factors:

1. **Socket Compatibility**: The Xeon E7-8880v4 uses the LGA2011-3 socket. Ensure that the motherboard you're considering supports this socket type.

2. **Chipset Compatibility**: Check if the motherboard's chipset is compatible with the Xeon E7-8880v4 processor. It's recommended to use a motherboard with a chipset that officially supports this processor for optimal performance and compatibility.

3. **BIOS Update**: Some motherboards may require a BIOS update to support newer processors like the Xeon E7-8880v4. Ensure that the motherboard manufacturer provides BIOS updates that include compatibility with this processor.

4. **Memory Compatibility**: Verify that the motherboard supports the type, speed, and capacity of DDR4 memory required by the Xeon E7-8880v4 processor.

5. **Form Factor**: Consider the motherboard's form factor (e.g., ATX, E-ATX, etc.) to ensure it fits in your PC case and offers the required expansion slots and features for your needs.

6. **Power Delivery**: The Xeon E7-8880v4 is a high-end processor that requires sufficient power delivery from the motherboard's VRM (Voltage Regulator Module). Ensure that the motherboard's VRM is capable of handling the power demands of this processor.

7. **Manufacturer Compatibility**: Choose a reputable motherboard manufacturer known for producing reliable and compatible products. Research user reviews and compatibility lists to ensure compatibility and reliability.

By considering these factors and conducting thorough research, you can find a compatible motherboard for your Intel Xeon E7-8880v4 processor. If you're uncertain about compatibility, contacting the motherboard manufacturer's support or consulting with PC hardware experts can provide further assistance.

0 Kudos
anthward1972
Beginner
Hi smithjohns, thanks for your reply. The socket compatibility was my biggest concern but you have put that to rest for me. Thank you. The motherboard I have is a 2011-3, but was struggling to find anything online regarding the CPU. I attempted to get support from the Supermicro website but apparently my Hotmail.com email address is not acceptable on their website. But that “-3” on the end of the LGA2011 is what I was hoping for, so thank you. I’ve been assured by the seller of the motherboards and CPU’s that the BIOS has been updated and that they are compatible, but I just wanted reassurance that the E7-8880 v4 had that “-3” identification too.

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos