Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

connect SSD P4600 2TB via U.2 on backplane

CDrew
Beginner

Hi Intel Community,

i hope you can help me. I want to connect a P4600 U.2 SSD (2TB) on my Sata/SAS/Nvme Backplane.

But it does not work:

Mainboard: Intel® Server Board S2600WF0

Backplane: F2U8X25S3PHS

Raidcontroller: BC MegaRAID 9361-8i PCIe x8

+ the integrated onboard Raid controller

When i connect the P4600 it flashes 1 sec. then the led is off for 20 seconds and then it is constantly back on again.

The Raid Controller does not detect the drive. Same for the onboard controler.

I have installed all the Firmwareupdates for the board and the controller. It does not appear in the raidmanager

The P4600 i have is not the model with the PCIe connector. It is the 2,5" model with an sas shaped connector.

thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello DRKMittelhessen,

Regarding your problem with the SSD 2.5 P4600 not been recognized.

Thank you for a detailed information on the board name and the backplane used.

Please download the Technical Product Specification for the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/R2000WF_TPS.pdf S2600WF0.

First, let me clarify that the Intel ESRT2 onboard RAID option does not support PCIe devices, this can be found in Section 7.3.1 Embedded RAID Support.

Second could you please describe to me the cable configuration connected from the backplane to the mother, if you could send me some pictures with also help.

You can find information on connection and setup on the TPS for https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/R2000WF_TPS.pdf S2600WF0.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
CDrew
Beginner

Thanks for your reply.

Here are the Pictures

0 Kudos
CDrew
Beginner

Can you recommend a Controller card (NVMe Switch???) to make the disk work ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello DRKMittelhessen,

Thank you for the pictures. If you can see page 80 on the TPS for https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/R2000WF_TPS.pdf S2600WF0, will show you where the NVMe drives need to be installed on the front. Page 81 will show were to connect on the back of the backplane.

Then on Page 92 and 93 will show you where to connect the where is connected to the motherboard. Then page 95 will show you how to configure and check the BIOS for the NVMe.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello DRKMittelhessen,

Hope you are doing well. Just will like to follow up and see if the information sent on where to connect the NVMe drives.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello DRKMittelhessen,

Hope you are doing well.

We have not received any updates. At this moment I will proceed on closing the forum. If need we can re-open.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos