Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

915 Graphics drivers for Windows Aero Standard not (Aero)

yanike
Beginner

I know the card probably couldn't handle the full see through glass with blur (even though Windows Blinds seemed to got it to work), but I know this graphics card can handle Windows Aero Standard and be certified by Microsoft to run it. I think Intel needs to create drivers for 915 owners to enable Windows Aero Standard. If this card can run "Compiz" on Ubuntu great (meaning animations, see through window frames with reflections and more) then it should be able to handle Windows Aero Standard.

My laptop is 1.7GHZ, 2GB RAM, 100GB, WIFI and more with the Mobile Intel 915 card.

If Intel really cares about their customers, they should at least give 915 users the capability of running Windows Aero Standard on their laptops.

It's sad to find threads by users asking Intel since the release of Vista for something and Intel turns their back and doesn't deliver. Knowing the card is very capable of running at least Windows Aero Standard.

Here's a video showing the graphic capabilities of the card:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0ZtcxHUSDQ

If Intel says the card can't handle the graphics then they are lying and just need to tell their customers they don't care about them or the Mobile Intel 915 card.They just care about money and want them to purchase something new from them.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
delle
Beginner
Quoting - yanike

...If Intel really cares about their customers...

This IS the point.

Delle

0 Kudos
Arzhange_S_Intel
Employee
Hi guys,
This forum is really intended for development questions. There is a user community for general questions/issues.

With that said I'll quickly try to answer your question.

The Aero Theme in Vista has some specific requirements from Microsoft. One of these requirements is a WDDM driver. The 915G is not capable of fully supporting the WDDM driver. Thus, in Vista it actually uses an XP driver.

It is not a matter of supporting alpha blending, but a matter of meeting all of the requirements of running the theme.

Regards,
Arzhange

0 Kudos
tcsenter
Beginner
Quoting - yanike

Here's a video showing the graphic capabilities of the card:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0ZtcxHUSDQ

That's really fantastic. Now if we could just convince Microsoft to replace the entire DirectX based Desktop Window Manager sub-system in Windows Vista with the OpenGL based X Window System used in Ubuntu, Intel GMA 900 could support all those things in Windows Vista, too.

But, alas, Windows Vista does not use the X Window System, does not support the X Window System,is not remotely similar to the X Window System.
0 Kudos
Chuck_De_Sylva
Beginner
Unfortuneately 915 was EOL'ed quite some time ago. So further changes to it's driver stack just isn't going to happen.

0 Kudos
pramodblackbird
Beginner
what i've done is, downloaded the WDDM driver of a similar intel motherboard and modified it to suite my motherboard...

0 Kudos
pramodblackbird
Beginner
see ya...

0 Kudos
jochenengel
Beginner
Quoting - pramodblackbird
what i've done is, downloaded the WDDM driver of a similar intel motherboard and modified it to suite my motherboard...

And works with Aero or without Aero...?
0 Kudos
vinf_net
Beginner

Sorry to resurrect an old post, I have had a post on my blog for the last 10 months or so showing a hack/bodge to get the 855 vista driver to work with Windows 7

People report varying degrees of sucess

Whilst I take the point about the chipset being EoL'd this article is currently getting over 1000 hits/day from google searches - so there is definitley a demand out there with Intel customers.

read these posts and the comments that followed, I would love to see Intel reconsider and provide an updated version of the Vista driver that works in Win 7 - everyone understands Aero/wizzy graphics aren't going to happen - but full resolution and support are what are required.

the original post
http://vinf.net/2009/01/12/windows-7-and-the-intel-855gm-video-driver-solution/

October 09 update
http://vinf.net/2009/10/21/windows-7-and-the-intel-855-video-driver-problem/

This is far from my area of expertise as I work in the infrastructure space - Intel surely this needs to get flagged up properly - maybe someone has an escalation path internally @intel?
0 Kudos
spapakons
Beginner
Quoting - vinf_net

Sorry to resurrect an old post, I have had a post on my blog for the last 10 months or so showing a hack/bodge to get the 855 vista driver to work with Windows 7

People report varying degrees of sucess

Whilst I take the point about the chipset being EoL'd this article is currently getting over 1000 hits/day from google searches - so there is definitley a demand out there with Intel customers.

read these posts and the comments that followed, I would love to see Intel reconsider and provide an updated version of the Vista driver that works in Win 7 - everyone understands Aero/wizzy graphics aren't going to happen - but full resolution and support are what are required.

the original post
http://vinf.net/2009/01/12/windows-7-and-the-intel-855gm-video-driver-solution/

October 09 update
http://vinf.net/2009/10/21/windows-7-and-the-intel-855-video-driver-problem/

This is far from my area of expertise as I work in the infrastructure space - Intel surely this needs to get flagged up properly - maybe someone has an escalation path internally @intel?

Well, I have read in another post that someone hacked an Intel GMA 950 (945G) driver to work in Intel 915. There is no need for a hack. All you have to do is manually force Windows to use the similar driver, and assuming the two models are at least 80% similar (in basic functionality), there should not be any compatibility problem. Go to Control Panel, switch to classic view and then go to Device Manager. Right click on the Intel GMA 900 (or whatever is the description of your graphics card) and select Update Driver Software. Select the second option "Browse My Computer for driver software", then again the second option "Let me pick from a list of devicedrivers on my computer". Of course I assume you have already downloaded the ZIP version of the latest Intel GMA 950 (945G) driver and you have extracted it in a folder. Clear the "Show Compatible Hardware" box, so you get access to all available drivers, and click "Have Disk". Now browse to the folder where you extracted the ZIP file and you should see a list with all the models supported by that driver. Select the first available Intel GMA 950 (945G) model and proceed to install it. Restart your computer when asked, and hopefully, if the two models are a bit compatible (in their basic functionality) you should boot into Windows and you may have Aero enabled! If not, go to Control Panel, Personalization and click on Colors. If you see the list of themes, just select the Vista Aero (or Windows 7 Aero) and click OK to enable Aero! That's it!

By the way, nVidia had made a Beta driver for GeforceFX 5 series for the Beta version of Windows Vista. Then silently they removed it from their site (thanks God I had downloaded it) in order to promote newer cards, 6100 or later. All new drivers support down to 6100, not older. But I suspect someone has flamed them enough, so they decided to release one last WHQL Vista driver supporting GeForce FX 5. Recently I was installing Windows 7 in my home PC in order to try them first, then gradually replace Windows XP. Of course this is a dual boot installation, so I don't miss any functionality straight away. Until I was aware of this official WHQL driver, I tried installing the XP driver in compatibility mode, as the Beta driver had some stability problems. Once I tried to force the nVidia Quadro FX 550 driver, which is similar and Aero worked! But Windows Update found the newer WHQL driver so I now have Aero officially.

The point is, as long as you know Intel GMA 950 is similar to Intel GMA 900, you can try forcing that Vista driver. In worst case, boot in Safe Mode and uninstall it, or use a Restore Point.

Good Luck...
0 Kudos
Intel_Software_Netw1

Moving this thread into the User Community.

==

Lexi S.
Intel Software Network Support
http://www.intel.com/software
Contact us: http://software.intel.com/sites/support/

0 Kudos
mmichaell
Beginner
hello i am michael you have some problem with your graphics driver than you can reinstall your display driver or may be your motherboard is not able for that hardware yaou just do that reinstall that hardware and its drriver and than if it dont work that call them from which you get that

thanks

www.win7zilla.com

0 Kudos
buggy1
Beginner
Quoting - spapakons

Well, I have read in another post that someone hacked an Intel GMA 950 (945G) driver to work in Intel 915. There is no need for a hack. All you have to do is manually force Windows to use the similar driver, and assuming the two models are at least 80% similar (in basic functionality), there should not be any compatibility problem. Go to Control Panel, switch to classic view and then go to Device Manager. Right click on the Intel GMA 900 (or whatever is the description of your graphics card) and select Update Driver Software. Select the second option "Browse My Computer for driver software", then again the second option "Let me pick from a list of devicedrivers on my computer". Of course I assume you have already downloaded the ZIP version of the latest Intel GMA 950 (945G) driver and you have extracted it in a folder. Clear the "Show Compatible Hardware" box, so you get access to all available drivers, and click "Have Disk". Now browse to the folder where you extracted the ZIP file and you should see a list with all the models supported by that driver. Select the first available Intel GMA 950 (945G) model and proceed to install it. Restart your computer when asked, and hopefully, if the two models are a bit compatible (in their basic functionality) you should boot into Windows and you may have Aero enabled! If not, go to Control Panel, Personalization and click on Colors. If you see the list of themes, just select the Vista Aero (or Windows 7 Aero) and click OK to enable Aero! That's it!

By the way, nVidia had made a Beta driver for GeforceFX 5 series for the Beta version of Windows Vista. Then silently they removed it from their site (thanks God I had downloaded it) in order to promote newer cards, 6100 or later. All new drivers support down to 6100, not older. But I suspect someone has flamed them enough, so they decided to release one last WHQL Vista driver supporting GeForce FX 5. Recently I was installing Windows 7 in my home PC in order to try them first, then gradually replace Windows XP. Of course this is a dual boot installation, so I don't miss any functionality straight away. Until I was aware of this official WHQL driver, I tried installing the XP driver in compatibility mode, as the Beta driver had some stability problems. Once I tried to force the nVidia Quadro FX 550 driver, which is similar and Aero worked! But Windows Update found the newer WHQL driver so I now have Aero officially.

The point is, as long as you know Intel GMA 950 is similar to Intel GMA 900, you can try forcing that Vista driver. In worst case, boot in Safe Mode and uninstall it, or use a Restore Point.

Good Luck...

No joke. Installing 950 driver on 900 works? Aero works?
0 Kudos
Gul_Ahmed_S_
Beginner
Hi! search on Google for your issue with drivers or download it from the official website of the company of laptop just by searching on Google by writing exactly about your query thanks http://www.insertknowledge.com/
0 Kudos