Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

ATTN: Intel Wi-Fi driver team / Intel Wi-Fi 5100 AGN drivers bad, no cookie

levicki
Valued Contributor I
There is no appropriate channel to relay this information so I am posting it here in hope someone relevant will see it.

Those Intel Wi-Fi drivers have been giving me all sort of trouble from freezing to BSODs in both Windows Vista SP1 x64 and now in Windows XP SP3. When I only surf they work fine, but if I leave P2P download or upload active for an extended period of time I start having issues with the connection and the OS.

Most of the time the OS freezes so I can just power cycle the machine. Vista was once so kind to give me a BSOD but I wasn't able to figure anything out from it and the minidump.

After restarting I checked device properties in Device Manager and saw that the device is using IRQ 0xFFFFFFFD -- talk about screwed up!

Needless to say, negative IRQs are impossible and my connection didn't work afterwards and any attempt to change IP address or anything else in TCP/IP properties resulted in OS freezing solid. Reinstalling the drivers didn't help either -- I wasn't able to fix connection issue and I had to delete Vista.

Then I installed Windows XP SP3 and now I am starting to experience that freezing again. As you know, there are legal uses for P2P networking so your drivers should be stress tested with heavy loads and large number of simultaneous TCP and UDP connections.

Finally, according to Google, I am not the only one having issues with those drivers, and I would really appreciate if they got more stable in the future.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
muhdzulazri
Beginner
Hi, i'm also have the same issue using WIFI 512an mmw card. Windows XP freeze and low internet connection speed. Already update WIFI driver, still same.
Please help....

0 Kudos
Quoc-Thai_L_Intel
Quoting - Igor Levicki
There is no appropriate channel to relay this information so I am posting it here in hope someone relevant will see it.

Those Intel Wi-Fi drivers have been giving me all sort of trouble from freezing to BSODs in both Windows Vista SP1 x64 and now in Windows XP SP3. When I only surf they work fine, but if I leave P2P download or upload active for an extended period of time I start having issues with the connection and the OS.

Most of the time the OS freezes so I can just power cycle the machine. Vista was once so kind to give me a BSOD but I wasn't able to figure anything out from it and the minidump.

After restarting I checked device properties in Device Manager and saw that the device is using IRQ 0xFFFFFFFD -- talk about screwed up!

Needless to say, negative IRQs are impossible and my connection didn't work afterwards and any attempt to change IP address or anything else in TCP/IP properties resulted in OS freezing solid. Reinstalling the drivers didn't help either -- I wasn't able to fix connection issue and I had to delete Vista.

Then I installed Windows XP SP3 and now I am starting to experience that freezing again. As you know, there are legal uses for P2P networking so your drivers should be stress tested with heavy loads and large number of simultaneous TCP and UDP connections.

Finally, according to Google, I am not the only one having issues with those drivers, and I would really appreciate if they got more stable in the future.

Please report this issue to the Wireless Support team through the link below:
http://supportmail.intel.com/scripts-emf/welcome.aspx?id=1783,1784

-Thai
0 Kudos