Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

About GMA 500 Driver Development

berga_d
Beginner

I have a simple question: will the driver for the GMA500 support WDDM 1.1? The hardware is DX10.1 capable, but lacks driver support.Vista GMA500 driver is not compatible with Win7, using it leads to a lot of bsod in many operations. With wddm 1.1 memory usage for the dwm hopefully will be reduced, and maybe willget a better 2d acceleration, useful for flash apps. As a last chance, if wddm 1.1 support is not planned, will wddm 1.0 Vista driver be patched to work well under Win7?
Davide Bergamini

0 Kudos
33 Replies
hanratty
Beginner
Quoting - berga.d

# Adding required PPAs
echo 'deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list
echo 'deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list
echo "" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

echo 'deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/albertomilone/poulsbo-graphics/ubuntu jaunty main ' >> /etc/apt/sources.list
echo 'deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/albertomilone/poulsbo-graphics/ubuntu jaunty main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list

# Keys for PPAs
apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys C6598A30
apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 99C0198F

apt-get update
apt-get install dkms fakeroot

apt-get install libdrm-poulsbo1
apt-get install poulsbo-driver-2d poulsbo-driver-3d psb-firmware

# Install downloaded psb-kernel-* packages
dpkg -i psb-kernel-*

echo "blacklist i915" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

update-initramfs -u

0 Kudos
berga_d
Beginner
Quoting - hanratty
Quoting - berga.

# Adding required PPAs
echo 'deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list
echo 'deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list

Thanks... But this is the way to install driver under ubuntu I think... I'm asking about Windows 7...
0 Kudos
Doraisamy_G_Intel

The current drivers support WDDM 1.1 for GMA 500. Please check it out at http://downloadcenter.intel.com

0 Kudos
m0dcm
Beginner
I'd like to run Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, but the Poulsbo/GMA500 driver fails. I know Mandriva 2010 and 2010.1 works without a problem, but I like Ubuntu, and would love to start using the latest release.
I've heard through different forums, that Intel have scrapped this chipset, yet it's still being sold in Netbooks, is this true?
So my last question is, Is there a driver that will work on Ubuntu 10.04 for the Poulsbo/GMA500?
0 Kudos
espionage724
Beginner
What about IEGD?
0 Kudos
ABHISHEK_S_Intel
Employee

@Ganesh: GMA500 Windows driver doesnt support WDDM 1.1 yet but just WDDM1.0. There seems to be some misunderstanding. For WDDM 1.1 support GDI acceleration is must and our Win7 driver doesnt have GDI accerleration as we are still working on it.

@modcm: Am sorry but I am windows developer so not much info on Linux driver. I hope someone from linux team can help u.

-Abhi

0 Kudos
samusishere
Beginner
Hi Abhishek, I would really like to know, what is your team doing to improve aero perfromance on the gma 500? The driver is very glitchy when it comes to aero and it can become quite anoying, and when do you think that you might be releaseing the next driver?
0 Kudos
datapeoplebd
Beginner
Thanks for the question & all the answer because its really helpful to solve my problem also.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
samusishere
Beginner
OK this is becoming ridiculous, Intel has yet to release a fully working driver to support our chip set and I'm fed up with it, people please, help me pressure Intel into doing something about this, for god sakes they have had 2 years to do something with the pitiful drivers and have done nothing! I have Windows 7 and I decided to download Appup today, and let me tell ya, almost every game that requires 3D excel Is Unplayable!!!!!!! I mean come on! All the software in The catalog Is supposed to work with ALL Intel Atom based net books Not just the ones with Intel GMA 950 Graphics cards! This is totally ridiculous and Intel has me to the point that I will never Buy another One of THEIR products again unless they fix this monstrosity.
0 Kudos
ABHISHEK_S_Intel
Employee

@samusishere:
Hi there, first of all my sincere apologies for taking so long to reply to your earlier question... I was too busy and couldnt take out time to reply any of the queries :(...

Answer to your previous query ("...would really like to know, what is your team doing to improve aero perfromance.........")
We are constantly working on improving overall graphics and not just AERO related issues. This is true that there are issues with AERO mode on our driver but we have improved it a lot if you compare it to previous driver versions when there were frequent app hangs, texture corruptions etc. Infact we have recently released another driver version (2026 two weeks back only). Some more bug fixes has gone in. You can download it from

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18470〈=eng

Apart from these fixes we are also working on enabling OpenGL 2.0 support as well.OGL support should also enable many of the apps/games which specifically require OpenGL support and not just DX support.

So you see we are working to improve GMA 500 driver and no need to pressurize Intel for not doing anything J I can understand your frustration as a customer but you can cooperate with us by providing more details about any issue you find with GMA500 driver. As you mentioned in your last post about some games from Appup. Are those games DirectX based or OpenGL? If you are not sure provide the link and I will try to check it and try to figure out whats the issue with it.

Abhi

0 Kudos
samusishere
Beginner

Well Thank you for doing what you guys are doing, but um, i Just downloaded the driver and i notice absolutely no improvement. Exactly what was done??? And i do understand that you guys are working on more then aero issues but um, many other very less powerful cards have no problem with aero. and the animations are not jerky etc.... Also when do you think that the next driver thats supposed to enable OpenGL 2.0 will be released and the driver that will have full direct x 10 support. and lol, what about WDDM 1.1 instead of using vista outdated 1.0??? also the games that i was referring to are

Play 3D pool Game demo

funkyball worlds

And sir, to be completely honest, Graphics performance seams to have degraded with the newest driver in my testing what is that about. aero animations along with some working games have actually DROPED a couple of frames. can you tell me why that is???

Thanks

Justin

0 Kudos
samusishere
Beginner
Another thing that I have noticed is that the ALL Direct X games have artifacting flashing and severe pausing. The frame rates are also bad. The game that i tested is 8 years old and is big mutha truckers. a ten year old Extreme graphics 2 card ran the game at 33 frames per second. I also must note that the card was NOT recommended for playing that game. now obviously the GMA 500 is much more powerful and is more then capable of running a game that is 8 years old. I understand that you are working hard on Open GL 2.0 Support but please fix this issue it is very annoying. Also I know i have said this many times but i must repeat myself just one more time because it has become more annoying. Please fix Aero! hahaha. The animations are Increadably jerky and very unpleasant to look at. As i said before many older less capable cards from Intel have no problem with aero. Such as the GMA X4500 witch can not even handle HD video but runs aero almost as well as its more powerful brother the GMA X4500MHD. Witch shows that is really is just a driver issue. My last gripe is with video accel. As far as youtube and natively from the hard drive. All Videos look great but at the same time it taxes the processor. Witch is weird because it is supposed to be Accelerating the video and therefore should only take the processor to about 40 percent..... so there all my issues with the driver i have let you know about and i hope that you can get the fixed as there are like i sad very annoying. but please if anything....... FIX AERO. Its what i look at when i first log on to my computer and its kinnda hard to keep it on. but Adobe recommends that its on fo the best perfromance. so um yeahh please fix it! thanks
0 Kudos
adw2ru
Beginner
Hello,developers team. I just want to say that current situation with gma 500 is not normal. Really. I do not need OpenGL, DX, Video... But I REALLY need proper GUI acceleration. Currently operation has no difference with legacy "Standart VGA" video driver. Please focuse on introducing better aero support. This is first and one thing that I use any time.
Please, if you can tall when next version of driver will be and what will be fixed in it.
0 Kudos
samusishere
Beginner
You sir/mam are 100 percent right, I very much appreciate that they are working on proper video and 3D excel but at the same time they are completely ignoring the fact that there are so many bugs and glitches when running aero that its unpleasant to use.
0 Kudos
adw2ru
Beginner
I have also tested GMA 500 under Linux - Ubuntu 9.10. So performance are better but not so good as espected. Also many visual bugs are founded. I think that it has maximum performance there. It's sloooow.
So I'am very-very disapointed to intel's GMA 500 product. I is not usable at all. Not for bussines applications not for entertaiment. In all existing "normal" operational systems.
Linux support is not good. Drivers is close-source and has many bugs and poor performance. Windows XP, Windows Vista are not supported any more. Windows 7 has many bugs and poooooor performance.
Netbooks that comes with this chip are not usable products. If intel thinks that checking e-mail's is all that customers needs - thay fail.
IMHO - GMA 500 must be discontinued and replaced with some more efficient solution. Good processors like Z550, Z560 but no support by chipset.
0 Kudos
samusishere
Beginner
Um, this is verry incorrect, ubuntu is still working on the gma 500 chipset to get full driver functionality. and the windows team have confirmed to me also that the driver thtwill bring top perfromance possible is nearing completetion, so you really should reserch before complaining.
0 Kudos
adw2ru
Beginner
Quoting samusishere
Um, this is verry incorrect, ubuntu is still working on the gma 500 chipset to get full driver functionality. and the windows team have confirmed to me also that the driver thtwill bring top perfromance possible is nearing completetion, so you really should reserch before complaining.

Did you try install and configure GMA 500 driver under Ubuntu 9.10 (for example) by yourself? It's not so easy and "plug and play". Really.
I did. I have OpenGL, Compiz, 2D accelerated. But performace is poor.
Ubuntu can not fix driver. Because it is not open source.
I have tested some there and some where and found rendering bugs too.

The best performance (and seems maximum for GMA 500) can be done by using IEGD driver. But this driver only for XP.

So... I'am thinking that this chip is not usable at all.

0 Kudos
ishanseo
Beginner
Intel sells a video chip to Sony, Dell, MSI, Fujitsu, Kohjinsha, Acer, ASUStek, Aigo, OQO and other hardware manufacturers for the use in their netbooks, laptops and UMPCs. Intel has not provided working drivers for this chip thus crippling the hardware that uses this chip.
The purpose of this group:

1) Inform Intel and its hardware partners of their consumers dissatisfaction
2) Provide the latest information pertaining to the development or lack thereof of the driver
3) Inform potential purchasers of affected hardware of this problem so they may make a educated decision for their purchase
4) Determine if there is enough interest for a class action lawsuit.
0 Kudos
samusishere
Beginner
I definitely want to pursue legal action.
0 Kudos
adw2ru
Beginner
I can not understand why intel has 2 separated teams: one for "regular" driver and one for IEGD. Why thouse teams can not play in one "game"? IEGD has support for HW 2D, 3D, OpenGL, video decoding and etc. And why another one not? It's very strange for me.
0 Kudos