Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

About the range issue

bob_s_4
Beginner

Hi there

I am designing one hardware requiring recognized range round 2~4 meters. And I would like to have multiple full body-skeletal tracking and gesture control, 3D segmentation. Can R200 support on this or F200 range can be extended? Otherwise I have to quit to seek for Kinect 2.0 as the key components?

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Whilst RealSense does not have full-body skeletal tracking, you can simulate it with hand / face landmark tracking if you think carefully about how the human body moves (though with the R200, you would be limited only to using face tracking).

For example, in my RealSense-powered full body avatar in Unity, the waist bends / rises and the knee joints bend / unbend when the user's head is lowered or raised.  This simulates how a person's head dips when crouching or looking towards the ground.

2.jpg

With the F200 camera's hand tracking meanwhile, I was able to develop full elbow and shoulder control as well as hand control using a process of reverse-thinking.  Instead of thinking about how the shoulder and elbow joints moved - because RealSense does not track those joints - I thought about how those arm parts are moving when the hand is moved.

For example, when the hand is lifted, both the lower and upper arm lift too, though at different speeds (the upper arm lifting faster than the lower one).  So through a combination of movement constraints, inverts and weighting in the TrackingAction script supplied with the SDK's Unity implementation of RealSense, I was able to create a realistic arm with the full range of up-down and left-right movement of a real human arm, just by tracking the hand joints..

1.jpg

The F200's hand tracking can also recognize the knee, foot and toe joints, treating them as though they are a hand palm and finger joints.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SMali10
New Contributor I

The range of the R200 is similar to the Kinect. The projector is not as strong so on it's own power it only extends to about 3.5 meters. In brighter IR light or indirect sunlight it can detect depth at longer distances.

Keep in mind that as of right now the RealSense SDK does not have skeletal tracking, so you will need to implement it yourself.

0 Kudos
bob_s_4
Beginner

Hi Sam

Thanks a lot for the help. But how could I implement the function of skeletal tracking to R200 SDK which is not open resource platform yet?  It seems there is no way to use realsense tech except for the laptop and some pads because

Cheers!

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Whilst RealSense does not have full-body skeletal tracking, you can simulate it with hand / face landmark tracking if you think carefully about how the human body moves (though with the R200, you would be limited only to using face tracking).

For example, in my RealSense-powered full body avatar in Unity, the waist bends / rises and the knee joints bend / unbend when the user's head is lowered or raised.  This simulates how a person's head dips when crouching or looking towards the ground.

2.jpg

With the F200 camera's hand tracking meanwhile, I was able to develop full elbow and shoulder control as well as hand control using a process of reverse-thinking.  Instead of thinking about how the shoulder and elbow joints moved - because RealSense does not track those joints - I thought about how those arm parts are moving when the hand is moved.

For example, when the hand is lifted, both the lower and upper arm lift too, though at different speeds (the upper arm lifting faster than the lower one).  So through a combination of movement constraints, inverts and weighting in the TrackingAction script supplied with the SDK's Unity implementation of RealSense, I was able to create a realistic arm with the full range of up-down and left-right movement of a real human arm, just by tracking the hand joints..

1.jpg

The F200's hand tracking can also recognize the knee, foot and toe joints, treating them as though they are a hand palm and finger joints.

0 Kudos
bob_s_4
Beginner

Great appreciation!

0 Kudos