Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

After installing the app on Surface pro or desktop, the app minimizes or disappeares

Rohit_N_
Beginner

Intel XDK 3400

I have made an hybrid application for a windows 8.1 surface pro. The build which I had generated was the 4th option (windows 8 build) . I installed the application on the tablet and also on my Windows 8.1 desktop. It installs perfectly without any issues.

But when I open the application, the splash screen pops up and then the application disappears from the screen. On the tablet the application closes automatically after the splash screen and on the desktop, it minimises.

What could be the problem?

I haven't used or even touched the device ready events or anything. I used the app designer, Put few buttons, gave the page it should navigate to in the interactivity tab on the right and then built the app. Am I missing something? 

Please Help!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Please follow the instructions here > https://github.com/xmnboy/xdk-win8x-compat.js <

0 Kudos
Rohit_N_
Beginner

Hi Paul,

I followed the link you said and added the js file to my project. Still its the same. I generated build for Windows 10 and 8 both and tried it on Microsft surface and desktop since I had more hope that it will work on a windows 10 as I had read in few other threads. The application again closes after the splash screen. The most frustrating part is, while closing I don't see an error message or something which can give us a clue of what is going wrong. 

The issue here is, at our office, after a whole month of a discussion, we had come to a conclusion of using intel XDK as the tool to build the project. Since even a simple app with a few buttons doesn't work on windows, we will be in great trouble.

Kindly suggest if there is any way to get this done.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Rohit -- debugging Windows HTML5 apps is one of the toughest nuts to crack. One thing you can try is opening the index.html file in your project directly with IE 10 or IE 11 (on a Windows 8.x machine) and open it with Edge on a Windows 10 machine. Then use the IE/Edge debugger to view any errors that may be coming up. I have found that you will occasionally encounter issues that are "okay" in Chrome or Safari but do not work in IE or Edge.

The IE 10 browser is roughly equivalent to the webview on a Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 machine. IE 11 is roughly equivalent to the webview on a Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 machine. And Edge is roughly equivalent to that on a Windows 10 machine. Note that if you build for Windows 8, a Windows 10 machine will run your app in a Windows 8 equivalent webview, meaning it will run in something similar to an IE 10 or IE 11 webview. Those IE webviews are actually special Silverlight runtimes, they are not identical to a browser, but are similar.

When debugging with the browser you will not be able to work with any Cordova plugin APIs. Likewise, the cordova.js file will be ignored (an error will be generated regarding cordova.js missing, which you can ignore). You need to take into account that any Cordova plugin APIs will fail, but the likelihood is that something else, unrelated to the Cordova APIs is what's causing the sudden failure of your app.

0 Kudos
Rohit_N_
Beginner

Hi Paul!

After Suffering a lot with Ionic framework and facing above problems, I had changed my framework to Twitter Bootstrap. Things worked well. I checked the running of the app on windows PC with a hello world app and it worked. 

Moving ahead when I added more pages and their connectivity in the app and generated the build, a new problems has popped up.

Suppose there are two screens in the app. A button in the each of the screens navigate to each other. If I continue this process of clicking and navigating for more than three times, the app closes down the 3rd time I click the button to navigate to other screen. Why is this happening now? I have not put any fancy elements in the app. Just a button and using the interactivity tab, I pointed them to the respective pages. 

Whats wrong now? Should I add anything else for the buttons to navigate unlimited no of times? Is the interactivity tab not enough for this work?

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

I'll ask one of our App Designer experts to chime in.

0 Kudos
Chris_P_Intel
Employee

Hi Rohit,

That sounds very strange.  You are sure it is reproducible?  

So you are saying that when you open the page in the Simulator and start to follow its links that you get this crash? Or that it occurs in the Design View itself?  If you switch to the Code View, you can use the bar on the right to "Run My App" in a local browser. 

If this is reproducible, can you .zip up your project and post it?

Chris

0 Kudos
Rohit_N_
Beginner

Hello Chris!

The above stated problems are only happening when I generate the build for it. I installed the windows 8 build for my PC and surface pro. There the app closes after few navigations. In the emulator the app works just fine. 

Also the previous error which is the thread title, that the app closes down after the splash screen, even after changing my framework to twitter bootstrap, the problem prevails.

I am attaching the windows 8 build zip file. Kindly review.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Rohit_N_
Beginner

Hey Chris!

I am sorry, I think the zip file I sent earlier had an issue. Here I am sending another one.

0 Kudos
Rohit_N_
Beginner

Hello Chris!

Any updates for me? Did you check out the build? Or is there something else I can send you to analyse the problem? 

0 Kudos
Chris_P_Intel
Employee

Hi Rohit,

I see the problem, same as you. In fact, it crashes right away here.  

Have you tried the Internet Explorer debugger?   My guess is that it will give you the info you need.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk/topic/671402#comment-1879280

Chris

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Rohit -- we're investigating some issues with our Windows builders.

0 Kudos