Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

And now ...

Carles_V_
Beginner

The rules says that we can't program anything with the camera beside the project.

Now tat contest have finished, can we program things for fun?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Carles_V_
Beginner

Also, can we share our projects on this forums or another place? (demos, info, etc).

0 Kudos
Wezley_S_
New Contributor I

And now..... We take a step back, regain our sleep, and patiently wait.

I don't remember reading anywhere in the faq that we can't use the camera for anything else. I would think that we are encouraged to develop more since this is hitting the market.

0 Kudos
Carles_V_
Beginner

Wezley S. wrote:
Andnow..... We take a step back, regain our sleep, and patiently wait.

Haha, good one.

Wezley S. wrote:
I don't remember reading anywhere in the faq that we can't use the camera for anything else. I would think that we are encouraged to develop more since this is hitting the market.

It's in the "contract" of the camera loan:

Recipient may use the Camera internally solely for the purpose of designing and developing Recipient product(s) for submission to the RAC (RealSense ™ App Challenge 2014) designed to work in conjunction with or incorporate the Camera ("Restricted Use").

0 Kudos
Wezley_S_
New Contributor I

Ohhh... That's where it is. In the thing I may have only skimmed over. 

Hmm, maybe Fritz or someone else from Intel can clear this up and tell us if we can develop anything else with the cameras. I would love to create a few more applications on this platform after I regain some sleep, and family time.

0 Kudos
Richard_F_2
Beginner

I could have sworn that it said we had to give the camera's back if we weren't continuing to develop with them, which would imply that they want us to keep using them.  I could be completly wrong of course, I'm not a lawyer and it's been months since I looked at it.

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Man, of course you can do stuff with it. The point they wanted to make is that they are loaning you the camera in exchange of you making an app with it. That should be your main goal. If you want to further develop stuff with it until you send it back is perfectly fine!.

0 Kudos
Wezley_S_
New Contributor I

Getting on to the top of sending these back. I know that in the 2013 PerC Challenge we were allowed to keep the cameras and develop with them if we submitted a demo.

Does this hold true to this competition or are we required to send the cameras back? I'm asking this, because sending the test device back kinda defeats the purpose of continueing to develop for the platform after the competition.

0 Kudos
Carles_V_
Beginner

In the FAQ they say:

I have received a RealSense™ 3D
Camera. Must I return the camera
when the Challenge is over?

In general, we ask that you please return the camera within six
months of its receipt. Importantly, though, Intel is providing
you the camera to actively develop apps. If you submit a demo
for the Intel RealSense App Challenge and participate in our
on‐going series of contest, hackathons, and other
development opportunities, we would ask that you continue to
use the camera. Please return the camera when you are no
longer actively doing app development. We will provide
instructions regarding the return of the camera at a later date.

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

That's interesting, and kinda makes sense...

0 Kudos
Wezley_S_
New Contributor I

This makes perfect sense. We're encouraged to keep developing on the platform, and participate in Intel's other contests utilizing the cameras. Everyone's a winner, Intel gets new applications for their upcoming market, and we get more chances at awesome prizes.

Thanks for sharing this Carles!

0 Kudos