Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Android apps, compiled for 64 bit Intel CPUs, will not install.

Roy_L_
Beginner

I recently purchased a Teclast X98 Plus tablet that dual boots to Windows 10 or Android 5.1. The latter has (64 bit) Linux version 3.14.37-x86_64-L1-R429. The CPU is an Atom Z8300. I produce a wide range of benchmarks for various platforms (free, no ads). The ones for Android can be downloaded and installed from:

http://www.roylongbottom.org.uk/android%20benchmarks.htm

Most use Native Code and are developed by Eclipse IDE, via Linux on a Core i7 based PC. The programs are compiled to select a 32 bit or 64 bit ARM or Intel CPU on installation. The 64 bit varieties are selected and run properly, using Eclipse, on configuring Atom x86_64 64bitintel AVD but, on the Telcast tablet, the 32 bit benchmarks are selected. Compiled just for Intel 64 bits, the programs fail to install.

The same main benchmark code, compiled as Windows EXE files, runs successfully, using the tablet’s Windows 10 selection, at both 32 bits and 64 bits.

I also have an Asus MemoPad 7 with Atom Z3745 CPU, using Android 5.0 and Linux 3.10.20-x86_64 and the 64 bit programs don’t work on that either.

I read somewhere that Android is 32 bit software, running via a 64 bit Linux kernel. Is this true? If so, when will 64 bit Android become available? - or am I doing something wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Xavier_H_Intel
Employee
Hi, Most Android devices based on Intel platforms are running a 32bit version of Android with a 64-bit kernel. Apparently it's the case for your Teclast. Hence they can't run 64-bit user-space Android libs. There are still some full x86_64 Android devices, such as the Tesco Hudl 2 and the Chinese version of the Nokia n1.
0 Kudos