Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Any dates for a driver update that enables the camera to work with regular 3.0 usbs?

AndreCarlucci
Beginner

Hi guys,

We are all excited with the RealSense Challenge but unfortunately many of us had problems with the camera compatibility.

As you can see in this forum and on facebook, twitter, etc, I'm not the only one that probably won't be able to meet the early deadline because of this.

With that sad and with the assumption that you want to have RealSense running on every notebook/pc out there (with 3.0 USB, I know), when are you releasing an update/new driver for it?

Please, don't say "soon"...

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Andradige_S_Intel

It does work with USB 3.0...I am not sure what you mean by 'regular USB 3'..

0 Kudos
AndreCarlucci
Beginner

As reported by many people on this forum and other places, even using 3.0 USBs the camera is NOT working on all notebooks/desktops.

The funny thing is that some time ago I tried the engineer version of the RealSense camera and it worked just fine on the same notebook.

0 Kudos
Andradige_S_Intel

It works with USB 3.0, but due to a known technical glitch you have to make sure that you connect it directly to main board USB 3.0 port (i.e. it won't work if connected via a USB hub/extension etc). 

0 Kudos
AndreCarlucci
Beginner

Does the RealSense engineer version (not the one from Creative) has this same bug?

Do you have plans to release a driver or firmware that solves that?

If it's a hardware problem, will Creative release a new Camera that solves that anytime soon?

And how can I know if my USB port is connected directly to the main board or if there's integrated hub inside it? Can device manager of Windows tells me that information?

0 Kudos
Andradige_S_Intel

The RealSense Camera is Intel not creative, make sure you are using RealSense Camera and not the camera for last years Perceptual SDK.

We will be resolving this and other known issues in our future releases. For the time being just plug the camera in to a USB 3.0 port of your PC/Laptop and not to an extension/hub connected to the PC/laptop

0 Kudos
Richard_F_2
Beginner

Generally speaking, the ports on the front of the machine will be extension ports, at least for a desktop.  Only the ports on the back of the machine would be connected directly to the motherboard.  If I had to take a guess for a laptop, I'd say only one side is directly connected to the motherboard as well.  I know for mine I have ports on the left/right sides.  Of course this is going to vary widely by computer.

0 Kudos
AndreCarlucci
Beginner

I have 4 USBs on my notebook, 3 of them are 3.0, but the camera won't work on any of them.

The weird thing is that the first time I installed the SDK it worked just fine. After my first reboot it stopped. I tried to install/uninstall the sdk, update the camera and restarting the windows service.

The camera is recognized by windows and I can see it on device manager all the time.

When I start any application that uses the camera, it turns on the green led on and after one second, I hear that windows sound when you connect/disconnect any usb device, the device manager refreshes and the camera stop working making the app to freeze (method Init).

Even after that I can see the camera on device manager.

Is this the behavior caused by this USB hub problem?

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

It doesn't really sound like USB 3. issue if it is detected in Dev. Manager and works sometimes.
Do you see all 3 "devices" for the cam under Imaging Devices?
Have you tried restarting the Intel RealSense DCOM service?
Can you send us the exact number version of Windows. We haven't been able to recreate this particular behavior yet and are looking for all the info we can get.

0 Kudos
AndreCarlucci
Beginner
Hi Colleen,
Here is a video showing the behavior.
onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5A91DE3085B2A966!96965&authkey=!AD6fTExuruP9XG0&ithint=video%2cmp4
The first time I hit play on a sample, the camera led goes green for 1 seconds and turns off again.
Please, tell me if you need more information or if I can test the camera in any other way.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Calvin_H_
Beginner

He is not the only one experiencing this behaviour, the product is not working me at all, though I do have an extension board. My motherboard,  S5520SC does not have any on-board USB3. 

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/server-products/server-boards/legacy-server-and-workstation-boards/intel-workstation-board-s5520sc-family.html?wapkw=s5520sc

I'd appreciate any help, support or fixed drivers. I'm really surprised Intel has released this without extensive support and testing? 

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

@Andre - Thank you for the video and to others who've provided information on this intermittent issue. It is important to keep it separate from those cameras that never work (or are on totally unsupported platforms). We are working on the issue so all I can say is watch this forum.

@Calvin - You may have a totally different issue, most likely around USB3. Can you send the Device Manager info on your USB root device?

0 Kudos
Jack_K_1
New Contributor II

Hi Andre,

I looked at your video and noticed that your device driver for the RealSense camera is 6.3.9600.16384.  I'm running version 6.4.9841.0 and the camera runs all samples on my i5 NUC on Windows 10.  Have you installed the Gold version of the SDK?

The only problem I'm having is with the raw video stream: The image is kind of grainy - the pixels dance around.  Perhaps this is due to a YUV conversion issue.  Also, the FPS is only 15. 

The firmware on my camera is apparently not up-to-date: I'm at 2.36.9.0, not 2.38.5.0.  I didn't update it because I read somewhere that it was unnecessary if your camera was shipped after November 17th. 

Not sure where the conversions is happening, but suspect it is being done in firmware because I get the same grainy image when I use the Windows camera app.

Anyway, thought it might help to know that your device driver is not as recent as mine.

Regards,

Jack

0 Kudos
Carles_V_
Beginner

Hi Andre,

It's seams that you have the same problem I explained here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/537502

Did you try to restore windows to make it work again?

Edit: sorry I didn't watch your video before .... definitely it's not the same error/problem.

0 Kudos
AndreCarlucci
Beginner

Hi guys,

Thanks for the links.

It turns out my model was defected. I managed to test with another camera and it's working now.

The weird thing is that even with this new camera I have to always connect 2 hardwares on my USBs. I mean, just the camera, it doesn't work. If I connect "something" on some USB and then connect the camera without disconnecting the former, it works.

Go figure...

0 Kudos