Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

App Framework 3.0 Documentation

Thomas_K_8
Beginner

Is there a current Documentation for App Framework 3.0?

When we do a web search for "app framework 3.0" we mainly find links to outdated App Framework 2.1/2.2 pages, although we learned, that App Framework 3.0 is a big change from previous versions...

During the last days, we saw many "page not found" results when following links (i.e. the third text-link on page https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/article/app-framework-30)

For example, the following Links on page https://github.com/01org/appframework/issues/821 result in "404 - not found":

Maybe there exists a compilation about the basic HTML structure of App Framewerk 3.0 pages and the various Classes/CSS types of objects (Buttons, Panels, Lists, etc) somewhere? It would be a dream to find something like http://getbootstrap.com/css/ for Intel App Framework 3.0.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Diego_Calp
Valued Contributor I

Hi Thomas,

If you are looking to use AF 3 with XDK it is not the best option, the framework is deprecated. I don't know its future as an open source project. More info:

Which App Designer framework should I use? Which Intel XDK layout framework is best?

From my own experience in XDK:

Bootstrap: very easy to use. Good with jquery.

F7: powerful, lot of options, very well documented at its site, but XDK App Designer includes an old version. Good with jquery.

Ionic: complicated if you don't know Angular.

Regards

Diego

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Pamela_H_Intel

Thomas,

Have you taken a look at this page? https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/article/app-framework-30

Pamela

0 Kudos
Thomas_K_8
Beginner

Pamela,

thank you for your quick reply and the page link.

If you read my message again, you will notice that I already know this page (sorry ;-)). This is exactly the page with the broken links, to which I have referred in my post.

Would that be the only place, where one can find a more recent documentation for App Framework 3.0 on the web?

Please put yourself in the position of a developer who needs to have a documentation, and search the Web from his perspective (please also follow a few links). What do you feel like then?

Best regards,
Thomas

0 Kudos
Diego_Calp
Valued Contributor I

Hi Thomas,

If you are looking to use AF 3 with XDK it is not the best option, the framework is deprecated. I don't know its future as an open source project. More info:

Which App Designer framework should I use? Which Intel XDK layout framework is best?

From my own experience in XDK:

Bootstrap: very easy to use. Good with jquery.

F7: powerful, lot of options, very well documented at its site, but XDK App Designer includes an old version. Good with jquery.

Ionic: complicated if you don't know Angular.

Regards

Diego

0 Kudos
Thomas_K_8
Beginner

Hi Diego, thank you for your kind indication that AF3 is outdated. I really did not expect such a thing!!

I am also happy about your comparison between XDK with Bootstrap, F7 and Ionic. This helps us in choosing the "right" framework.

Side note: We use XDK in "manual" mode, coding by hand, not with App Designer. But outdated remains outdated ...

After days of frustration because of unsuccessfull searching for "App Framework 3.0 Docs", we now have to accept your "bad news" to AF3, whether we like it or not.

Thanks and regards,
Thomas

@Paula: Do you have an opinion on this subject?

0 Kudos
Diego_Calp
Valued Contributor I

Hi Thomas,
Coding by hand, without App Designer has advantages. You could use the latest version of the frameworks and get all the features, not limited by App Designer.

I have one project this way using F7. In your case, I recomend you to take some to evaluate it, the documentation (and features, of course) are great.

This way you may choose any javascript framework you like and use the fantastic array of tools provided by XDK to test, debug and build your app.

Good luck,

Diego

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

My apologies, Thomas. I had clicked on a couple of your links, but obviously was not thorough.

Diego - thanks for helping out other users.

0 Kudos
Thomas_K_8
Beginner

Pamela, thank you for writing again. And my apologies that I have mistaken your name.

0 Kudos
Thomas_K_8
Beginner

Diego - thanks again for your kind advice - it is not self-evident!

I will like to try F7. Maybe I should make friends with App Designer to get to know the possible UI elements better.

AF3 was obviously (unfortunately) a time-consuming dead end for us. So I'm pretty excited about the F7 features and documentation...

Anyway, I will follow your advice, so our app development continues.

Greetings from Germany,
Thomas

0 Kudos
SithLord
New Contributor I
I'm surprised by AF3 being deprecated. I do not use App Designer so the fact my app is still using AF2.x does not currently pose a problem but it does worry me it might be in the future. I'm glad i dragged my feet when it was recommended i should upgrade to AF3, i was worried it was too new and a lot may change in the near term and i could end up in a similar situation as i am with AF2. Although my current app is AF2 loosely coupled with Angular i was worried about Ionic's tight integration with angular plus i felt it was too new. Now it looks like Ionic will soon be deprecated in favor of Ionic2 due to changes in angular. F7 looks good but no support for WinPhone so I'm still not sure what i will do with my app, maybe I'll give Xamarin a second look.
0 Kudos