Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

App rejected on App Store due to data loaded

Matheus_G_
Beginner

Hello, I've developed an app for both Android and iOS devices. Google Play and Android devices accept the app without any problems.

But the App Store rejected it because of data that is loaded upon opening the app. They responded with this:

On launch and content download, your app stores 670.88MB, which does not comply with the iOS Data Storage Guidelines.

Next Steps

Please verify that only the content that the user creates using your app, e.g., documents, new files, edits, etc. is backed up by iCloud as required by the iOS Data Storage Guidelines. Also, check that any temporary files used by your app are only stored in the /tmp directory; please remember to remove or delete the files stored in this location when it is determined they are no longer needed.

Data that can be recreated but must persist for proper functioning of your app - or because users expect it to be available for offline use - should be marked with the "do not back up" attribute. For NSURL objects, add the NSURLIsExcludedFromBackupKey attribute to prevent the corresponding file from being backed up. For CFURLRef objects, use the corresponding kCRUFLIsExcludedFromBackupKey attribute.

Resources

To check how much data your app is storing:

- Install and launch your app
    - Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage
    - Select your device
    - If necessary, tap "Show all apps"
    - Check your app's storage

For additional information on preventing files from being backed up to iCloud and iTunes, see Technical Q&A 1719: How do I prevent files from being backed up to iCloud and iTunes.

But as it seems, I can't change the NSURL through Intel XDK. And I really need it to be accepted on the App Store. How can I solve this problem?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
John_H_Intel2
Employee

You can not modify the NSURL. Can I ask what you are downloading that is 670 Mb? If its video, have you tried compressing it? Or altering when they get downloaded, for example, download them only when needed, or stream them directly from a server?

0 Kudos
Matheus_G_
Beginner

JOHN H. (Intel) wrote:

You can not modify the NSURL. Can I ask what you are downloading that is 670 Mb? If its video, have you tried compressing it? Or altering when they get downloaded, for example, download them only when needed, or stream them directly from a server?

The app is for a client. It allows you to customize chairs and armchairs and then buy them. So we have around 7000 images to download, as they are every piece of each chair in each color and so on.

This way, there is no compressing, and I can't download them on demand (because the app needs to function offline).

0 Kudos
John_H_Intel2
Employee

Are you checking for a wifi connection before downloading the data, and only downloading if they are on wifi? Either that, or you might have to give the user the option of downloading 670 mb over cell data and warn that it could cost them.

0 Kudos
John_H_Intel2
Employee

There is a documented policy on the size limit for downloading over cellular connection:

2.15 Apps larger than 100MB in size will not download over cellular networks (this is automatically prohibited by the App Store)

Note that this is the size limit that is imposed by the App Store itself, but it might make sense that the same restriction would be applied to what an app can download internally over a cell network.

0 Kudos
Matheus_G_
Beginner

The Apple response only talked about the backup, not the limit. But I guess I can do both, warn and download on wifi only.

But what if that doesn't solve the issue?

0 Kudos
Matheus_G_
Beginner

Nothing, JOHN H.? There is no solution?

0 Kudos
John_H_Intel2
Employee

Did you try what I suggested previously and resubmit?

Are you checking for a wifi connection before downloading the data, and only downloading if they are on wifi? Either that, or you might have to give the user the option of downloading 670 mb over cell data and warn that it could cost them.

0 Kudos
Deepak_B_1
Beginner

Hi,

My App contains some puzzles which will be inserted in the indexedDB or SQLLite DB. The app size is 9 MB. Still got rejected due to above reason. Can you please let me know how to resolve it.

Regards,

Deepak

0 Kudos
Matheus_G_
Beginner

Hello!

I've tried everything possible, nothing worked. Even editted some Cordova files, but it also did not work. We had to give up on XDK and pay a third-party developer to develop an iOS native app.

Got very disappoionted with XDK and Intel. The developer said to me that it's not the iCloud trying to back up the app, it's the app that's trying to save itself into it, so it's not Apple's problem.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Deepak_B_1
Beginner

Wow.. I am in pickle now. But thanks for the info.

0 Kudos